hiking grand canyon december 1st

10:43 p.m. on October 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

My daughter and I walk down Kaibab to Bright Angel campground and return the B.A. Trail with a stop at Indian Garden, down on 12.3 and up on 12.6..Im in Florida and wonder what typical weather there is around that date...And any tips any can offer about the hike

1:45 p.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,216 forum posts

It can be very nice in December especially below the rim. It might be snowing and cold 10-30 F on the rim while the bottom is warm in the 50-60 F range.

The hike down the South Kaibab is a nice hike with the morning sun if its not cloudy hitting the trail directly from the east. The first few miles is mostly switchbacks down to Cedar Ridge, then a long gradual slope down to Ooh Aah Point and Skeleton Ridge. Then the trail switchbacks down again steeply to the Tonto Platform crossing the Tonto's east/west route. Then again the trail drops switchbacks down again all the way to the Colorado River where you cross the Black Bridge.

The Black Bridge was the first bridge at the bottom built by the miners to get their mules and ore across the river. When about halfway acroos look upstream and you will see the old cable car that they used before the bridge was built. Just after you cross the bridge and are heading towards BA campground look along the way for some old indian ruins near the trail to the Boat Beach.

Then you will come to the little bridge over BA Creek leading to BA campground. It is lined with huge old Cottonwood trees and has a indoor bathroom with running water and flush toilets. Just upstream is Phantom Ranch.

Coming back to the south rim you will cross the Silver Bridge built in the 60's I think. Then yhe trail will start up Pipe Creek and switchback up to the Tonto Platform and Indian gardens. be sure to walk the trail out to Plateau Point where you can look down 1000 feet to the colorado river.

Then the trail goes up to the south rim passing two rest houses along the way every 1.5 miles. Its 4.5 from IG to the south rim.

2:38 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

I tagged along as a day tripper with friends that spent almost a week over New Years at the bottom of the Grand View Trail (my favorite trail in the Canyon - does not cross the river, however). A few took off on the Tonto to explore for a few days. Others scrambled down to the river and just spent time watching the shadows change and cold bare bottoms.

Since I was carrying most of the wine and didn't stay over night all I can report is that they said it was a GRAND! trip. Cool at night and warm daytime. A bit of ice at the top that would have been better served with instep crampons.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply