Backpacking with Dogs?

4:44 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi everyone. I'm embarking on a cross-country trip with my dog and looking to do some backpacking along the way. Since I'm not limited by state, this question goes out to all of you:
Where have you gone backpacking that allows dogs, and is a good, multi-day hike for people as well?
Thanks!!
Brenda
PS. If you know anywhere near the San Francisco Bay Area, that's my home base.

3:28 p.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Hi hikeswithdogs!I too am a dog lover,had four till 10/04/09 when my oldest passed away.I am in Oregon and out in the nw any trail in a national forest allows dogs.National parks are very restrictive on pets,not allowed on trails,as can be some state owned parks.Either way make shure you have very good control of your dogs because not everyone out there enjoys dogs the same.I even have been almost bitten buy lose dogs on trails with owners that only thought they had good control over their pets.Good luck and enjoy your trip.As a added note there are several books out for traveling with dogs that give lots of info on pet friendly places accross the country just google it.

2:45 a.m. on November 8, 2009 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
187 forum posts

Clean up after them too! Gawd I hate it when I walk up a trail and there is a HUGE pile in the center of the trail. Also, why is it that nobody obeys the leash laws? I had a Doberman that I used to take hiking, and I would only cut him loose when we were in a very secluded place. He scared the hell out of people even with the leash.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply