About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

ADK/Henderson Lake

6:08 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hey guys,

Anybody ever enter the ADK at Henderson Lake and hike to the flowed land. I've camped there before but hiked in through the lodge (totally opposite direction). I'm thinking of trying it this way and would like to hear some experiences. The flowed land is a good location to camp and access some mountains I think. Also, is there multiple day parking at the trail head by henderson lake? Thanks.

8:49 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Can't help, but i like your style!

I always go backwards it seems, just want to be different I guess, like I have to try to be different, HaHa.

Years ago I hiked the AT southbound from Clingman's Dome.

I often start at the "wrong" end, it seems.

You certainly seem to meet more people that way, but they're usually going the other way.

Good luck to you.

9:15 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

TH,

I agree, going in the back way can be fun. I want to go in "backwards," not only for a different experience, but also for a good practical one. From the Flowed lands one can easily access Marcy, Algonquian, Colden and Iroquois peaks among others(all 4-5K ft.). The traditional hike in through the lodge is a back breaker and relatively slow going. Its worth the effort for the scenery and experience, but it saps the ability to hike in, set up camp, and then still have the energy to go climb a peak. I'm hoping that by going in the wrong way from Henderson me and some buddies could set up camp and still have time to hit a peak. Time is always a consideration as it is unfortunately limited. If there still isn't enough time, it'll still be worth it to try something new. Thats interesting what you said about not running into people going in the "wrong" way, from my brief searching on the net people seem to say that there are less people this way. All the better I say!

11:59 p.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

I've often been in the area you are talking about, but never taken your prescribed route. Great area though, and as it seems you already know, the flowed lands are not only beautiful but provide terrific access to other hikes.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply