Planning a trip to Canada? Read this!

12:04 p.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Here's a little something i found this week that will simplify your trip planning.

The governement of Canada has all the 50K and 250K map scans available for free on the internet. They are in either high-res PDF or TIF format, here's the link.

You can easily download the PDF map, crop it, edit it with a simple PDF editing software and print it in the size of your choice. No need to buy expansive maps anymore!

Here's an example of an edited map for a ski traverse.

Does anyone know if the same thing is available for USGS maps?

12:22 p.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

Yes, on the USGS website. You can also find aerial photos and a lot of other map-related data there for downloading. You can't stitch the maps, though (unless you can write the software yourself or have a friend who can do it for you). You still have to get NatGeo's Topo! or Delorme's TopoUSA for that.

7:50 p.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

Try www.mapcard.com a USGS website for $19.95 a year you can download maps, use Java map tool to place labels, draw lines, place arrows and GPS markers onto maps. See maps, aerial photos and hybrid topophotos in sizes from 1: 6,000 to 1:1,000,000 scale and regional maps.

I have been using mapcard for about ten years and print out all my own maps. I can save maps to my PC then in my Canon photostitch program put edges together to make larger maps and aerial photos.

10:59 p.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

How are you guys water proofing the maps you print out?

I have always used a product called Map-seal on my 7.5 USGS quads.

Will Mapseal work on printer ink? My gut instinct says no.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2:38 a.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

I usually carry my maps in large Ziploc bags, taking them out only to look at them.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply