About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Climbing Mt. Mitchell in winter

9:37 p.m. on October 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am considering climbing Mt. Mitchell at the end of November or sometime in December. However, I read that Black Mountain Camp Ground is closed after November 1st, and that is where I planned to camp and start. I am aware of how the weather can be at that time of the year. If anyone has any information about climbing Mt. Mitchell in the winter, it would be greatly appreciated. What I need is information of the trail head, and where to camp. That is if Black Mountain Camp Ground is closed. Any other tips would be helpful since this is my first accent.

10:40 p.m. on October 27, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts
9:43 p.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Hey Longleaf,

I do not have much experience in the Black Mountains yet, but am planning on getting some!

I hiked the Mount Mitchell Trail years ago, not in winter though.

The trailhead I used was in the Pisghah Forest, the trail climbed 4000 ft in 5.5 miles or so. Sadly, I did not keep a journal at the time so I have no notes to refer to. I plan on doing this hike again, If you get to go, would you please do a short trip report here on Trailspace?

Here is a link I found some time ago, hope this helps more than I could:

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/mitchell/index.html

Stay safe!

10:03 p.m. on December 18, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

A group of us are going in January. It has become an annual thing for us. In fact, we have started a website dedicate to Mt. Mitchell in the winter: www.mitchellwinter.com

11:33 p.m. on December 18, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Editing to add: Oops, I skipped over the part where you said you're doing this every year ... comments below would be directed to first-timers.

Do you have a way to get to the mountain besides the access road from the Blue Ridge Parkway? They close the parkway often during the winter.

This shouldn't be a big deal if you've got cold-weather gear and tents that can withstand gale-force winds.

One thing that might concern me: weather right around 32F -- it can be much more problematic than weather in, say, the 20s. I suspect in this latitude there might be a fair amount of freezing-point weather.

Editing to add: I see you're already doing this every year so it's

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply