good week to two week trips

9:17 p.m. on November 8, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

My wife and I are having a baby at the end of june. I have "permission" to go on a backpacking trip no later than mid may. I am looking for a one to two week trip maybe even three week trip where I would be doing ten to 20 mile days. I would love to travel somewhere different. I am currently in Ann Arbor. any ideas??? preferably somewhere I could drive but if I need to, I can fly somewhere.

8:55 p.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

You should check out the Long Trail in Vermont. It is the nation's oldest thru-trail and is absolutely beautiful. The trail runs the entire length of Vermont ranging from Canada to Massachusetts. The total distance it 272 miles and it covers all of the major 7 summits in Vermont. Several lakes and ponds dot the trail. I am planning to do this hike when I go home on vacation this summer!

8:43 a.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

The Long Trail rocks. I section hiked it in 22 days last year. However, the green mountain club requests that you don't hike it until after memorial day because it is so muddy from snow melt. Forget 20 miles days though on the northern section of this trail. It is tough!

8:42 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

What about the North Country Trail? It is right in your back yard. I haven't hiked any of it, but having lived in the UP, I bet the NCT up there is well worth walking.

9:57 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

The Paria down here in northern Arizona is nice. permits are easy to get and if you've never been in a slot canyon, they are pretty cool. Its about 56 miles from Lee's Ferry to Hwy 89a up the canyon. Or just about 30 to just the confluence with the Buckskin Gulch making a 60 mile trip with only about a 2000 foot gain or loss in elevation in return to Lee's Ferry being you have but one car.

Note the size of the hiker in the bottom of the image compared to the cliffs around him. Almost 600 feet+ deep and about 20 feet wide or less in someplaces.

Not my own picture by the way, just an example.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply