January backpacking

4:32 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I'm trying to plan a roughly two-week backpacking trip for January, anywhere in the US where snow would not really be an issue. I've done a lot of hiking in the northeast, where I'm from, but I don't want to do winter backpacking. Relatively cold is fine, but snow storms are undesirable. Any ideas of where to start looking? The main goal is to get outside for a few weeks, so anything goes! Thanks a lot!

-Ashley

6:12 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Have you ever thought of Big Bend national park in Western Texas? It is a huge and beautiful park that rests on the border on the western portion of the state. It is pretty remote so it doesn't get the attention that most National Parks do but that makes it much less populated (which I prefer). There are tons of hikes and camping areas and it stays relatively moderate in temperature during the winter months. I am from New England and I currently live in Texas and I have yet to see winter conditions since moving down here almost three years ago. Check it out, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointing!

8:35 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Stodnocker: the Big Bend area is one I have wanted to return to for a long time. Good call.

Ashley: how about the Florida Trail?

http://www.floridatrail.org/

9:44 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,216 forum posts

I don't know what the permit ease of obtainment is these days but January is nice below the rim of the Grand Canyon. That and December were one of my favorite times in the inner canyon.

Used to be one could get a standby permit if at the BCO at 8 am when the permits were handed out and some did not show for theirs.

10:13 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I think you guys hit the nail on the head with Big Bend. Its great in the winter. You might also look into Guadalupe Mountains National Park. It is the highest peak in Texas with tons of trails.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply