Campfire Regulations in the Whites

10:12 a.m. on November 20, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm planning a multi-day camping trip to the White's in January. We are planning on staying at the Nauman tent site. I'm wondering what the rules are concerning campfires at this site. I'm reading some conflicting things online regarding campfires - some saying Yes and others saying No.
Does anyone have any experience camping at this site and do you know the regulations?

Thanks!

3:24 p.m. on November 22, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Welcome to the site Bribo,

I can't answer your question directly, however a phone call or E-mail to the proper authorities should yield an accurate answer, and that info should be on a website. If you are having problems finding that info I would be glad to help as I run this type of info down all the time.

Happy hiking.

8:26 p.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I bet the staff at the AMC Pinkham Notch Camp can provide a definitive answer, since they manage the Nauman campsite:

Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge
Route 16 (P.O. Box 298)
Gorham, NH 03581 Front Desk (24 hours): 603-466-2721

or the USFS

From my recollection (I've been out of New England for 11 years and at least several years before that when I was last at Nauman/Mizpah) ... there is no place to have a campfire there. There are just some tent platforms in a little wooded area near the Mizpah Spring Hut. I suspect creating a fire there would be frowned upon to say the least.

5:45 p.m. on November 26, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

this website is for the White National Forest in New Hampshire. Isn't there a range of White Mountains elsewhere?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply