thinking about going to the smokies

6:05 a.m. on December 30, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I've been doing plently of day hikes along the tigris river (I'm in a infantry unit in iraq at the present moment) but I'm suppose to go home in march and was thinking about going to the smokies does anyone have any advice websites other than the nps.gov

6:53 p.m. on December 30, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

That's a wide subject. If you want ideas for hikes in the Smokies, just list what types of hikes, length (distance and time), difficulty, things you'd like to see, etc., on the backpacker.com community forum (southern subforum). There are a lot of folks who frequent that forum who know the area well.

12:54 a.m. on January 6, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

There are numerous sites and folks who can help you out.. Myself, trouthunter, and a few others frequent the area.

The web doesn't do much justice, nor do the trail maps. There's a small brown book called "Hikers Guide to the Smokeys", not sure who puts it out, but its $15 and is the best guide around.

9:53 p.m. on January 9, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts
5:26 p.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I would also encourage you to look at not just the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP), but also the Cherokee and the Nantahala National Forests. They cover the section of the Appalachians just below the GSMNP, and are much less over run by tourist types. The Cherokee N F is the Tennessee side, and the Nantahala is the North Carolina side of the mountains.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply