About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Questions on the AT

2:56 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Me and my wife are going to do the AT this spring and have a couple questions for someone who has done it or knows about it. As far as maps go I've heard different things on whether you should get all the maps or just go with what is in the "Wingfoot" (or Appalachian Trail Guide) book. And also im planning on only doing like 6 or fewer mail drops and curious where the best places for them are. Also thinking about bringing some cold weather gear at first then mailing them back same with winter boots. And last but not least just curious what forms of money you have used and how much cash was brought on your trip. Thanks for the feedback it will be very helpful to us and our success.

1:29 p.m. on January 4, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, letmebefree.

I have not thru-hiked the AT, though, as a New England hiker, I am quite familiar with many of our northern portions of the trail.

First off, the site http://www.whiteblaze.net/ is focused entirely on the AT, and will probably be able to offer help with specifics. You may want to ask around there.

Also, we recently published a four-part series on planning a thru-hike. While it is more generally focused, it may give you some food for thought or refer you to some useful sources: The Lure of a Long Trail: Planning a Thru-Hike

Good luck with your venture.

1:37 a.m. on January 12, 2010 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

thanks this website is coming in real handy. getting all the info we need for our big hike. :D

7:41 a.m. on January 12, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

You're welcome. Glad it's helpful Good luck with the planning and the doing.

9:43 a.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Whiteblaze has a lot of info. Just the table of shelters and distances is worth visiting the site to get - laminate it and take it along, it might help cut down on carrying maps and guide books.

There are other sites as well. This one has some information that may be of use:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805471/k.2480/ThruHiking.htm

I envy you for doing this hike.

11:55 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

i just bought the new "wingfoot" trail guide and im gonna have maps for the white mountains and maines 100 mile wilderness and thats all :P but yes ive gotten all my questions answered that i didnt already know on whiteblaze.... great site!

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply