Waterproof Pants

3:46 a.m. on January 6, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I will use these pants in backpacking and snowshoeing mostly, may end up being taken to summit some peaks as well. basically looking for a good pant to last me the 4 seasons as a shell, lightweight is good :)

i have seen a lot of arguments about paclite's durability vs the pro shell, just looking for a great set of pants

finally this may seem a bit silly but i already have black gaitors and a black jacket...so it would be pretty nice not to end up with black pants but its really not a dealbreaker. any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Tulley

2:19 p.m. on January 6, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Given your parameters (active use backpacking and snowshoeing, plus peakbagging), I would avoid paclite. It does not breathe well enough for something where you are really active. I have had a couple pairs of paclite pants and a paclite jacket. I find that whenever I wear them I get sopping wet inside them, even at temperatures of 10-20F.

eVent and Goretex breathe much better and are much more suitable for the active use you describe. Yes, PacLite is cheaper. But the first really vigorous snowshoe or backpack you will appreciate the difference. And Paclite is not as durable - Barb ripped a pair first time out on a branch alongside the trail (luckily, REI was kind enough under their return policy to replace them).

One other thing - eVent and Goretex overpants are available with full side zip, so you can open them to get plenty of ventilation without getting the rain in.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply