Outrageous!

7:36 a.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I wanted to share something I found mentioned on the Daniel Boone National Forest's website. Though I'm new at the backcountry thing, I already get the impression that one of the more agonizing parts of planning a trip, especially to a new site, is tailoring the trip to your desires, physical fitness, and equipment. Well, there is a group of talented folks in Kentucky helping to make that task easier for backcountry sites in Kentucky and Tennessee.

http://www.outragegis.com/

OutrageGIS is a small cadre of outdoor enthusiasts who make it their mission to know our local wilderness like the proverbial "back of their hands." The core of their products is a set of minutely-detailed topographical maps overlaid with trail paths, facilities, backcountry camp grounds, and points of interest. Other guides like this exist, especially for major trails, but this is the first guide I've seen that covers unofficial and user-maintained trails in addition to the state and federally-funded trails. They also maintain a vigil on local weather observations and trends for each of the parks for which they produce guide material.

I ordered the Red River Gorge guide, as well as the companion GPS data, for a trip planned in mid-May. I'm eager to put it to use!

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply