hiking and fishing in VA

12:00 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi,

I am looking for a place to take my son hiking and fishing in VA. I am looking to plan the trip sometime in the spring or summer of this year. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW: I am looking to make it a weekend adventure camping included.

Wayne

12:47 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

In order to give better advice or suggestions, I think more information would be very helpful-

>Age of your son >Physical ability & experience level of you both >What type of fishing you wouldl ike to do >What type of 'camping' you want to do, IE backpacking or car camping >What gear you have or are prepared to acquire >etc.

8:50 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

My son is 8 years of age. Neither of us have experience, but are physically able. The camping would be backpacking. I would be able to aquire any gear neccesary. thanks

1:01 a.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

Do a search on www.Google.com for the nearest National Park or Wilderness Area in your location and you should get a good idea and information for something in your area. I wish I could help other wise, but I'm from North of your Border ;)

2:42 a.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

I don't know the best places to go in VA but you can try these links:

US Forest Service - http://www.fs.fed.us/

National Parks Service - http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

1:25 p.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is a link I found that may be useful to you.

http://www.trails.com/toptrails.aspx?area=10077

I did not go through each and every one but I am pretty sure that there is the possibility of fishing in some of these areas. I would suggest contacting your DNR/Game Commission and maybe they can give ya some info on that as well.

Wayne, how long are you gonna be out and what do you have gear wise at the moment? Oh and by the way welcome to Trailspace.

2:42 a.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Hi Wayne,

I think the perfect trip for you and you son would be camping in Shenandoah National Park. Great camping and for your first time out with an 8 year old (I have 3 boys ages, 9, 10, and 13) would be car camping in one of the campgrounds there. My two favorites are Lewis campground and Mathews Arm Campground. If you are going to arrive late on a Friday night I would recommend calling ahead and reserving a site. You will most likely see wildlife and if you're lucky you will see some black bear along Skyline drive. For the fishing, it is just a short drive the the Shenandoah River. There are trout streams in the park but probably not recommended for an 8 year old. They don't really care what they catch as long as they catch something. Keep in mind the attention span is short and you will need to have a plan B when it is time to bail from fishing. You can head to Lurray Caverns for a neat cave trip or head to one of the gem mining places out there. My kids loved that. You buy a bag of sand and hunt for gems in a water slough with a strainer basket. I though it was silly to buy the bag of prepackaged sand but the kids loved it.

Good luck with your trip and let me know if you have any other questions. I have been going to Shenandoah for about 15 years now so should be able to point you in the right direction.

Greg,

12:32 p.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

And there you go!

Hey BigSmoke,

Is there also backcountry primitive camping near any streams there?

I could ckeck myself of course, but I wanted your input,

thanks.

3:02 a.m. on February 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hey guys thank you for the great input. I think we will shoot for the Shenandoah National Park for our first venture. It seems like there are multiple things to do. Yes my son has a short attention span and i think he would love going to the caves and searching for gems. I will do some research and will let you guys know how the trip goes. Thanks again for the information.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply