New but not and heading to Everest

1:15 p.m. on February 4, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I've been reading around on this board and you guys (and gals) have some great information. I'm starting to prepare for a trip to Everest basecamp and would love to pick your brains.

About me: 31 years old married with 2 kids. Physically fit and I am an Eagle Scout. I'm not an avid hiker/backpacker (at least not in the last decade). For the last few years my main hobby has been drag racing.

About Trip: October: Flying from Kansas City to San Francisco to Hong Kong to Khatmandu then into Lukla where we will be trekking to basecamp. We are doing a "tea house" trek. I have never been on a trek of this length/magnitude/locale (closest thing to it would be Philmont - but that was like 15 years ago) but this is a bucket list item so with my wife's support I'm heading over.

I think I have a good handle on what I need but I'm sure questions will come up along the way.

Have any of you done this trip? Do you have any pointers/recommendations or things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

7:14 p.m. on February 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hey, I know at least a few people from www.nwhikers.net/forums that have been to the Everest region and done the tea house treks and they are members and check the forum regularly. You will probably get a response there. Good luck!

8:31 a.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Good luck with your trek. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm sure you'll get good specifics from others who've actually done the trip before, however I had one thought to add.

Be in good shape. It sounds like you're already active, so that's excellent. I think you can never be in too-good shape for trips and events, and that can make an experience so much better.

So, be sure you have lots of trekking specific activities: hiking with a pack, maybe some backpacking, running, etc... leading up to your trip. Then you can enjoy the trip when you get there.

Have a great time.

10:35 a.m. on February 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

Altitude sickness and its prevention should be something you should talk to a physician about. If you have not spent alot of time at altitude ,going from Kansas City to the Himalayas can be risky. Ask about Diamox as a preventive, you don't want to make this trip of a lifetime and feel lousy the whole time.Love that handle,my first car was a '67 Camaro.Boy did I get in a lotta trouble with that car,wish I still had it.

11:01 a.m. on February 10, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
12:30 p.m. on February 11, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

thanks and yes, the altitude is on my radar. I do plan to take diamox and hopefully with that and a fairly slow acent I'll be ok. We are going to spend 9 days going from Lukla up to basecamp.

As for being in shape, I do a fair bit of running, usually abut 20 miles per week. But I think I need to bring my pack in with 60 lbs in it and hit the stairstepper.

2:44 p.m. on February 11, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,298 forum posts

Actually, the stairstepper doesn't help all that much with training for carrying a pack. There's nothing like getting out and hiking a few hills with the pack. But if you aren't used to carrying 60 pounds, start off at a much lower weight (say 10-15 pounds) and work your way up gradually. That's 50 pounds in my pack in my avatar plus another 60+ in the sled. You won't get to have the benefit of a sled on the trek, though - not enough snow on the trails, just rocks.

One suggestion to preserve your knees - put the weight in your pack in gallon jugs of water. When you get to the top of the hill, dump the water (or around here in the summer, share it with the folks who hiked up the 2000-3000 ft in 80 deg weather with only one of those little one pint bottles of expensive "spring" water that actually came out of the city water supply). Hmmmm ... you appear to be in KC - not much in the way of hills around there, just little 200-300 foot ones. Well, hike up and down the hill 10 times.

9:05 a.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

yeah, not to many places arund here to get in practice with the pack and any actual elevation or incline.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply