South Holston Lake - Cherokee NF

11:03 a.m. on February 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

We're in the middle of planning our annual trip, and we're thinking of heading to the South Holston Lake area of Cherokee National Forest. We'd like to get some canoeing and fishing in and still be able to day hike a mountain or two. I ordered the map, but it hasn't come in yet, and I'm anxious to see if those opportunities are available. Is anyone familiar with the area?

5:53 p.m. on February 23, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

For fishing try the Tellico River, there are campsites right along the river, also there is an off - road vehicle park nearby in NC if your interested.

There are paddling opportunities at the South Holston Lake, camping sites are plentiful as well, both front & back country.

Hiking is no problem either, there are many trails there including the AT.

You would be in the Watauga & Tellico Ranger districts for most of that area.

This area is in the Unaka Mountain range, a sub range of the Blue Ridge, and has some really cool places to hike in.

Here are a couple NF campsites I have used before, these do have a small daily charge, but have front country access if that's what you want.

Backbone Rock, & Big Oak Cove which is right on the Tellico River.

Here is a link to the list of campgrounds,

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/chercmp.htm

Anyway maybe the link will get you started with some good info.

9:28 p.m. on February 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Right on. It's my turn to do the planning this year, so I'm trying to find an area that'll give everybody a chance to enjoy their favorite part of the outdoors. A little canoeing, a little fishing, a little hiking. I'm just waiting for the UPS man/woman to bring me my maps. Thanks for the link and the info, it'll definitely come in handy!

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply