About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Upcoming events

12:30 a.m. on February 27, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

A spring trip along Butterfield trail in the Ozark Nat. Forest with Scout troop.

A weekend in Hercules Glade, southwest Missouri.

Long weekend along Buffalo River, Arkansas.

4-5 days in southern Colorado wilderness, hiking and fishing.

12 days with Scout troop in Philmont Scout Ranch, New Mexico.

1 week in northern Colorado, hiking and fishing.

Gonna be right at a month or more in the outdoors over the next five months. And it's gonna be great!

Nothing else to say, just wanted to share a bit of the excitement. You may all return to your regularly scheduled programming.

2:56 p.m. on February 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Hey, I'll add my own two cents.

I'm heading to Savage Gulf in April, doing an overnighter in the South Cumberlands near Hobb's Cabin.

Beginning of May, doing an overnight loop in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in the area around Charlie's Bunion.

Then in June heading to the Roan Highlands and checking out the balds and Rhodendrums and Azalaes in bloom.

Warm weather is coming.

8:56 p.m. on February 28, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

It's been a while, so I might be wrong in my recollection, but aren't the Roan Highlands pretty much right on the NC/TN border, in Pisgah NF, I think? If it's the area I'm thinking of, the App. Trail passes thru there, and there are some fantastic views from atop the summits. (I seem to recall there being about 3 or 4 mostly-treeless summit areas.) I don't remember the azaleas or rhododendrons, but I was probably there late in the year for them to be obvious.

The trip I'm remembering will be forever filed in my memory banks as "Wet". Except when it was "Rain". There was also a brief period of "Deluge" one afternoon. We had a little bit of sun a couple of mornings but otherwise it was rain, rain, rain, and rain. We were out for 4-5 days, and when we climbed in the pickup at the end of the trip, it seemed like the only thing still dry was the innermost sheet on the roll of toilet paper. Parked next to the pickup was this large wooden houseboat-lookin' affair, and an older gent was unloading animals from it. First thing we did was go buy some dry underwear.

6:47 p.m. on March 1, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Perry, your memory serves you well.

I have it on good authority that the older gent you describe unwittingly released a couple of very libido driven black bears, who tore down all the trees at several summits giving chase to one another.

God decided to douse them with cold water, and it has rained heavily in the area ever since.

7:19 p.m. on March 2, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Well, now, trouthunter, I've learned something once again. Thanks! Interesting to know how those areas got "bald".

And now that I'm thinking of the Smokies again, I can't recall--ever--a trip there when it didn't rain. Years ago, living back east, I darkened the trails of GSMNP and environs occasionally, and it was there that I really became accustomed to the idea of living in the rain, to some degree, when in the outdoors. Still don't like it, but I can live with it. A bit.

Oh, and BTW, I've been told by indubitable savants that the libido average for the denizens of the big boat, as much as it was elevated by the bears, was equally (or more) depressed by a couple of flightless birds called "dodos".

12:28 a.m. on March 6, 2010 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Gee Perry, you should really get out more... made me more than just a little jelous! I expect a trip report or two so you can rub it in.

12:32 a.m. on March 6, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Perry,

I would say sir, that history does appear to support your accounting of the flightless birds.

11:50 a.m. on March 6, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

<chuckle>, trouthunter. I'll try to post some interesting bits. Was going to go for a day hike today, but family commitments have arisen...<sigh>. Next weekend is the (first) trip down to Arkansas. Won't be taking my fly rod on that one. But on the later one, I'll be along the Buffalo and then the White--and I'll certainly be flinging flies on that one.

On that note, I'll simply mention the largest trout I've ever caught:

Last July. Mid-morning. Sunny day. Fishing shaded area in tailwaters below Stagecoach reservoir near Steamboat Springs. Four-weight, with WF4, 6X leader/tippet. Tired of striking out with midges, etc., I decided to throw a #12 Green Drake for a bit. Second cast: biggest momma of a trout you can imagine rises from the rocky bottom and <slurp>; the fight is on. Probably ten minutes to get it (mostly) in the net. The fish had both head and tail extending out of the distended basin of the net. No tape on me (of course), nor camera. (Best friend still thinks I'm lying about all this.) I'm a lousy judge of weight, so I won't even try to guess that. But I honestly think that fish must've been at least 28", maybe a bit more. (I took out a tape measure when I got back to the Jeep and held it in approximately the same position as the fish, and got 28-30" as my guesstimate.

A deeply religious experience, I must say.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply