Weather- Damascus to Mt. Rogers NRC in May?

3:20 p.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

New to the forum, so first I'd like to say hello to everyone.

Going to spend a little time at Trail days, then on up to Mt. Rogers NRC. What is the weather like in the valleys and up top on the knobs during mid May? It would be a big help in packing appropriate gear.

Also will probably need shuttle help. Any ideas are welcome on the best way to do this.

Thank you!

8:58 p.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

Hello, Homer. Welcome to Trailspace!

I'm sorry I don't have the info you need, but hopefully someone else will.

9:38 a.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thank you for the welcome, Alicia. I'm looking forward to enjoying all that Trailspace has to offer.

Being in Ohio, I envy your locale. I've had a strong "pulling" since my first experience in the Whites when I did the 2006 edition of the Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Race. After the event on Saturday, I spent the rest of the time on the trails. What glorious beauty! Last September 2009 I was fortunate to do a Presi Traverse. The weather was simply stunning as most people said it was the best of the summer. I had 2 days left in my stay and ventured across the state line into Maine. What a grand gift I received when I spotted my first moose! It was a wonderful trip.

I've 2 trips planned this year, one at Trail Days in Damascus with some AT hiking northward from there. I'm also hoping to return to the Whites in late summer. Although I was planning to get back on trail at last year's exit point and hike northward, I would appreciate visiting any areas that are dear to your heart. I know, for me, some places are just so humbling I can't help but return in search of the mountain's spirit. I love being on the trail.

Thanks again,

Craig

12:48 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

I've had a strong "pulling" since my first experience in the Whites when I did the 2006 edition of the Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Race.

Cool! I did the road race up it last June.

There are so many great spots in the Whites. If you're thinking about visiting again, get yourself the AMC's White Mountain Guide, which comes with the necessary trail maps. It will give you lots of food for thought.

9:50 a.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Wow. Two folks crazy enough to do the Mt. Washington Road Race. I've occasionally pondered same, but then I start taking my meds again....

Homer--wish I could help with reasonable info, but not a part of the world I frequent. My last trip to the Whites or that area was probably 17-18 years ago. Dismal failure, considering it turned off my spouse to the joys of backpacking.

9:50 a.m. on March 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Perry, wow was I glad to get to the top! Weather for the bike race was good by MW standards with light rain, 35-40 mph wind, fog, and 50 degrees at the summit. However, it's been the highlight of my cycling adventures! I watched (from a long distance) as Tyler Hamilton won the race. Interestingly I finished with a guy who was wearing the same jersey as Tyler....it was his dad! I was 50 years old when I did it. You should find yourself at the start gate, too. You can't imagine the feeling.....

Note: My wife thinks I'm nuts for going into the winter woods to sleep. Same for doing the ultra races on my bike. She has long given up her notion of understanding my pull for adventure, be it on bike or trail. But there's nowhere I'd rather be than outdoors in the mountains...

So off to Damascus and the Grayson Highlands in May! Happy Hiking to you both, Alicia and Perry.

Thanks again,

Craig

11:38 p.m. on March 24, 2010 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Be prepared for rain. Then the sun will shine. Shuttles should be plentiful around Trail Days.

In Damascus, call Mt. Rogers Outfitters 276-475-5416

In mid- May or maybe earlier, I'll be driving to Pearisburg, VA, (from Boston) will shuttle to Elk Garden, just south of Mt. Rogers on the AT and start hiking north back to Pearisburg about 100 miles.

For shuttle options goto

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/index.php

here is a list of shuttle services all along the AT:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

10:45 a.m. on April 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hi Rambler,

Just realized I forgot to thank you for the info! Got busy with the part of life that keeps me from the trail. I'll probably be using a shuttle, also. Have fun on your hike.

Craig PS What rain gear do you take? Should I be prepared for an all day rain, or just the quick T-storm? I'm thinking about the OR Helium at 6.8 oz.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply