Looking for suggestion on day hike near Asheville NC

10:46 a.m. on March 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

I'm from Raleigh but work is taking me over to Asheville at the end of April. The extent of my experience in Western North Carolina is stopping off on the Blue Ridge Highway for a lunch break with the kids. I'm very rarely on the other side of the state without kids in tow so I'm eager to take advantage of the opportunity. I've got a good 8 hour window before I have to head back to Raleigh. Although fatherhood and my work schedule has kept me off serious trails in recent years I consider myself a moderately skilled hiker in good shape so I'm not too worried about a strenuous hike. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Josh

4:28 p.m. on March 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

So I think i'm going to checkout Looking Glass Rock at the Pisgah National Forest. Anybody have any experience\suggestions?

Josh

10:15 p.m. on March 24, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Hey Josh,

Shinning rock in Pisgah NF is really cool. The trails are not well marked and I have not been there in quite a while, but I'm hoping to go back soon. You should be able to do a day hike out of it.

http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/places/mountains/shiningrock.html

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply