About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Cumberland Island camping in November

12:33 p.m. on March 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Just wanted to get some info on visiting the island in November (weather conditions/bugs/camping areas). My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and thought about visiting the island as a little getaway. Most of the posts I have seen on here have been from folks going during the summer. Just wanted some insight how it is in November.

Thanks in advance

John L.

1:07 p.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

November thru late March is the best time to be there.

You can never tell about the bugs over there, all depends on what kind of weather they have been having few weeks before you go.

Pray it's gonna be cool. The no seeums and ticks can be pretty bad when it's been warm.

I've been there once, when I thought it had started raining only to discover the noise I was hearing was ticks hitting the ground from the trees above.

I highly recomend Hickory Hill campsite. Not as crowded as the others.

Due to no see-ums, brickhill bluff is brutal during daylight hours but awesome at night.

Yankee paradise lacks good camping spots,

Stafford - well, you might as well be in Sea Camp.

Take camping stools.

I've been there about 60 times now. I absolutely love the place.

4:39 p.m. on May 21, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I went in Feb. of 2009. It had been decently cool before we went (and even at night while we were there it got chilly). No bugs much during the day, but the ticks would fall like rain in the evening hours. It is a great place to go, but I would want it to be pretty cold when I go again.

Also, no camp fires at the backpack sites. Bring a candle lantern (or several).

10:16 p.m. on May 28, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

that will be a nice time to go. it will be cool but shouldnt be too hot or cold. be sure to check for ticks as they are there all year round!

12:19 a.m. on July 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

We've made reservations for Labor Day Weekend. Sea Camp is booked and that's fine for us. We would rather be isolated anyways. My concern is the water sources. We are amateur backpacker. I understand there are water sources on the Island and would like to take advantage of this to save on initial weight. What do you recommend the best way to treat the water (sulfur water?)? Of course boiling is the best option and we don't want to have to boil water every time we want to refill bottles and don't want to spend hundreds on purifiers. Is the sulfur water clean other than the sulfur and will a simple charcoal filter treat this? thanks

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply