Big Bend

7:53 a.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I'm heading to BiBe April 4th for a week. Have planned a 3 day hike in the Chisos Mountains going up Pinnacles Trail, summit Emory Peak, then to the South Rim and back down Laguna Meadow Trail.

Will do two or three day hikes in the desert also. I've been working out every day to build up strength and conditioning for two months now and am ready to go. Have lost some body fat and replaced with some nice muscle tone. Not bad for a 54 year old grandpa.

Been walking a few miles at least every other day with a 40lb pack getting comfortable with the load.

Since I'm a flat-lander the elevation is one thing I can't simulate.

randy

11:22 a.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Sounds like it should be a great trip. Spring is probably the right time to visit Big Bend. Hope you have a wonderful time!

7:34 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Sounds like it should be a great trip. Spring is probably the right time to visit Big Bend. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Thanks! I'm hoping I've picked a good week. The spring break crowd is gone now.

Should still be wildflowers in the lower elevations doing their thing and some cactus may be blooming by now. Will probably go back in the fall.

8:11 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Catching the timing right on spring bloom season in the desert is almost magical. Certainly makes one "consider the lilies of the field".

But even if you miss the peak of the flowering season, I'm sure it'll be nice. That's some beautiful country down that way.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply