Any Patagonia trip ideas?

11:49 a.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

My girlfriend an I are looking for a big trip to take and I have really been wanting to head down to Patagonia and spend a week or so on the trail down there. My first idea was a trip to Torres del Paine park in Chile. Has anyone been here or in the area? I am just starting the planning process so any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2:40 a.m. on April 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

How about a cheaper trip to Patagonia, Arizona? Its down in the southern part of the state east of the Santa Rita Mountains, SE of Tucson.

Sorry, just joking, I don't know anything about Patagonia S.A. It just made me think of one time when after visiting Patagonia AZ that my brother thought I meant the one you are talking about when I told him I had gone there.

Its just to the upper left of the red circle on the map below, along Sonoita Creek.

Patagonia Az and the Santa Rita Mountains

5:56 p.m. on April 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

I just posted a trip report on Trailspace, about our adventure in the Bariloche area of northern Patagonia.

Great place----if you hit the weather right.

1:54 p.m. on May 1, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Great place----if you hit the weather right.

More often the weather in Patagonia hits you! (It is notorious for wind.)

Ed

3:35 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Torres del Paine was actually my first real backpacking trip. I did El Circuito and it was amazing. It seems to make a lot of the lifetime trip lists. One day you may hike through grassy meadows, then dry desert like hills/mountains, then lush forests followed by snow/glaciers (you do not need to actually cross any glaciers or need any technical equipment). We packed 11 days of food, but finished in 8 and even had a day "off". I usually try to go to new places, but returning to Los Torres is def on the list of things to do. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply