North Lake/Piute Pass/Lamarck Col

1:25 a.m. on May 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Friends and I are planning a weeklong hike that is scheduled to start July 13---and I wonder if anyone has a sense of what High Sierra backcountry conditions will be like at that time. With deeper than average snow pack and still wintry conditions at this date in May, my guess is that it will be mid-August before things open up. Any other thoughts?

5/22/10

2:25 a.m. on May 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
364 forum posts

Even with a higher than average snow pack, you will not have snow covering all the ground at higher elevations. Sheltered areas, especially on north- and east-facing slopes, will still have snow, but south- and west-facing slopes should be pretty clear by then. The higher lakes may still be iced in.

4:43 p.m. on May 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the input!

2:54 a.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

3 friends and I are going to do the same trip first week in August. How about giving us some feedback after your trip? Will you be fishing? Thanks

2:08 a.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I hiked over Piute Pass->Snow Tongue Pass->Lamarck Col last week (7/6-7/11). There is a fair amount of snow, which made it a nice change. Lakes at upper elevations (~10.5k+/esp. north facing) still have some snow/ice. Desolation was iced over, as was Summit, Muriel, Wahoo, etc. Darwin Bench is nice, but a fair amount of snow patches. Regardless, we found plenty of good campsites except at Wahoo. We felt hiking Lamarck Col west to east was much easier with the snow. However, you can find your way across mostly talus if you would prefer to avoid it.

Great time to be alone, we only saw people 1 mile from the trailhead on the first and last days.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply