Backpacking in Texas

10:42 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Where are good trails to hike and camp in Texas?

11:06 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

One place to start looking: National parks in Texas.

Lost of very dry country in Texas (I lived in Abilene for a year of my misspent youth), so your main worry is where your water's coming from.

11:07 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

A good place to hike in Texas is Colorado!

3:16 a.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Here's a link to an old post where I described some trails:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-planning/topics/67038.html

5:44 a.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Big Bend is nice! I bicycled across Texas in 1984 from Texarkana to Hobbs, New Mexico, long open prairieland.

6:46 a.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I spent about a week in Big Bend the first part of April this year. Probably too hot to go now unless you spend all your time in the mountains. I timed my trip mainly for day hikes in the desert to see it in bloom. I think everyone that likes the southwest should see the view from the south rim in the Chisos Mountains.

randy

8:48 p.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I have lived in Texas most of my life and there are no great place to hike except for Big Bend and Guadalupe. There are however many good places to go for weekend trips. Caprock Canyon is always fun and they let you hike anywhere in the park. Hill Country State nature area has good scenery, fishing, and trails. And Palo Duro canyon is nice but it has very few trails. You might check the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department website for something near you.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply