Fly Fishing the rockies - what to use?

11:15 a.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I'm going up to Lander, WY with NOLS, and part of my trip says it includes fly fishing. After calling and asking how much they fly fish (there was a pure fly fishing course, but it was almost double this trips price!), they said "its just an introductory, but if you have spare time after chores and what not you are allowed to go off and fish all you want.

So I would like to come in prepared, because from what you may have read in my previous threads, I am first and foremost concerned about fishing on my trips! So, in preparation for this trips would anybody know what flies to use?

I'm sure once I get there I'll find other activities to do in my spare time! But I'd love to catch a big fat trout when catching dinner is my chore!

4:31 p.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

I like to use a lot of generic old-school flies on high mountain lakes. The fish are hungry and usually bite well on stuff I can tie myself. Having said that I like these flies and their variations a lot:

Adams, Mosquito, Telico, Royal Wulf, black ant, Leech (white, brown, black), wooly buggers, anything that looks like a mayfly in any stage of its lifecycle. I also keep something heavy like a bead head caddis larva or a weighted leach and a couple minnow patterns.

Watch the fish and see what they are eating. Their stomach contents are a good clue as well if you aren't strictly a catch-and-release angler. There are people and websites dedicated to entomology and flyfishing that go from basic to obsessive in a hurry. A simple web search or a local fishing shop can help too.

Happy fishing.

2:23 p.m. on June 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I appreciate the help!

Tight Lines!

11:57 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I lived in Jackson for many years and fished the Snake and its tributaries summer and winter. From my experience, I'd pack elk hair caddis, size 12 or 14 and parachute Adams in size 12 and smaller. Black Woolly Buggers are always good. Cut throat trout are kinda dumb and easy to catch, so you won't have to be too picky with your fly choices.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply