About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Audubon Center at the Francis Beidler Forest

9:10 p.m. on June 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I have been trying to schedule a day hike / canoe trip at the Francis Beidler Forest for a couple weeks now, hopefully I can go soon.

I just thought you guys might like to see what it looks like in the swamps & forested coastal plain where I live.

Francis Beidler is 15,000 acres of protected land with massive virgin Cypress and Tupelo trees. Birds, reptiles, fish, and mammals abound here. The water is black, and is referred to as a black water swamp. We have a different black water swamp closer to my home that has no mosquitoes due to the tree sap in the water acting as a repellent, or so I'm told.

Here is a video from the forest website.

Hope you enjoy!

3:57 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Very nice Trout I like it.

I wonder how the sap in the water affect the deer flys, up in the ADK if 4 or 5 of them grab you you better be holding on to something lol

8:58 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Very pretty. Thanks for sharing, Trouthunter. It looks like there is lots of great bird watching, in addition to other wildlife and nature.

You'll have to take lots of pictures when you get there.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply