Trip partners

3:32 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I am getting into back country camping and I am finding it very hard to find friends who want to go. I live in southern Ontario and am 19 years old, If there is anyone who wants to go to Algonquin or places in the area let me know. I'll probably get into solo camping in the future but I feel like I should do more group camping first.

3:53 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Don't feel bad Im in Central New York and I have the same problem 80% of all of my backwoods time is solo. Some times it is nice to be solo and some times its nice to go with people.

4:27 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

I'm in very similar circumstances (although i wish i was 19 again lol). I luckily have some friends who enjoy hiking and I have some companions on half of my hikes (to Mike's point I enjoy my solitude at times as well). Unfortunately they don't have much interest in overnight trips and my wife has given me too much grief about solo camping and I'd rather have some company while camping anyway. I recently found an active meetup group (http://www.ncbackpackers.org in my case) and I'm going to be going on my first weekend trip next month in several years and i'm really excited about it. I did a quick search and I found a couple meetup results for Ontario, I'm not sure if these groups are close to you but it may be a place to start http://backpacking.meetup.com/cities/ca/on/kitchener/.

Good Luck!

Josh

5:13 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay Josh I wish I was 19 again too but it is what it is, anyway thanks for the link I looked up my area and found a couple of groups that Im a bit interested in and ill do some research on them.

9:59 p.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks Josh, ill definitely do some research on those groups. I just got back from a canoe trip that we had to cut short because my buddy decided its really not for him. I realize now that it truly isn't for everone. So I think a group like that would be a lot of fun.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply