About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hiking the long trail info

9:01 p.m. on July 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Im interested in hiking the long trail. I want to leave soon as to be home around august 20th but am not sure about a few things. I want to plan as to let me trip go as smooth as possible any input would help.

FOOD-how much and what to bring
GEAR- i have pretty decent light backpacking gear but am interested in suggestions/must haves to bring
BASICALLY ANY OTHER TIPS SUGGESTIONS

all would be greatly appreciated thanks for your help!

2:31 a.m. on July 4, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I'm not familiar with the trail but it sounds you plan on taking over a month to hike it. My thoughts are that any kind of a hike for this length takes a lot of research and planning to go as "smooth as possible". Maybe you have already done your research/planning and this post is just another part of that. If so fine, but if not I would put it off until next season and spend the time to figure everything out.

4:18 a.m. on July 4, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

As a former and probably future Vermonter I guess I should speak up. Haven't done the whole thing in one go but probably about half of it in sections.

Food: most sections between roads are only 2 to 3 days, so there are lots of opportunities to hitch to town and resupply, but obviously this takes a lot of time. Sometimes the trail passes by or near some kind of a store where you can pick up more food (I.e. the Jonesville store between Camel's Hump and Mansfield, just a couple miles from our house in Richmond -- a pretty small mom & pop operation but you can pick up cheese, pasta, cereal, etc. and maybe a cold one for the trail. Also a short hitch into Richmond for a little more variety). If I were doing it "cold" without planing every resupply I would try to start out with a week's worth of food, see how far it gets me and look for opportunities for resupply. The GMC's Long Trail Guide may have some info that will help with this, or you may search online for other hikers' stories and tips.

There are shelters, but it's buggy for most of the summer and some shelters are heavily used so a tent is a must. I personally would choose not to tent near the shelters as much as possible, but be aware of NF camping rules and keep it low impact. Some of the closed shelters like Butler and Taft on Mt. Mansfield are really nice so I would plan on staying at those -- limited opportunities for camping on that section anyway.

BTW, if you want more info on the natural history of the Green Mtns. you might try to hunt down a book my wife and I published back in 1998, The Longstreet Highroad Guide to the Vermont Mountains. It's not a trail guide per se, but it covers most of the areas the Long Trail passes through with an emphasis on natural history. Long out of print, but there may be some remaindered copies floating around. Too heavy to carry, but I hope good background reading and I guess you could photocopy some of the relevant sections. Full disclosure: this was a contract job, we get no royalties, I'm just proud of it and would love to see it put to good use even after all these years.

5:00 p.m. on July 4, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

So the name of the trail is: The Long Trail?

8:11 a.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

Yup. A "footpath in the wilderness", 273 miles from Massachusetts to Quebec along the Green Mountains in Vermont.

https://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=2

11:29 a.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

That's cool, thanks for the reply & link Bigred.

I haven't done as many hikes similar to that as I would like, but I really enjoy the more obscure medium length trails like that.

The first one I did was the Benton Makeye Trail (BMT) which travels through GA, TN, & NC here in the US.

I think I would enjoy reading your book, I did add it to my list of books to find.

Edit: There are 25 copies, new & used on Amazon. I ordered one.

2:35 p.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

I'm honored! Hope you can find your way up to Vermont to reap the benefits!

1:34 p.m. on July 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks you for all the input definately glad to hear that there are lots of reup spots along the way i think im going the route of packing 2 weeks worth then reup when im close to running out. wish me luck!

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply