Yellowstone

1:34 p.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Has anyone been hiking/camping in the canyon area of yellowstone between Ice Lake Trailhead and Cascade Lake trailhead? If so i would love you to share your experience with me as i will be heading there in mid august to do my first backcountry hike/camp trip!

3:22 p.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Ice Lake Trail (direct route)

Ice Lake is a lovely, small lake nestled in a thick lodgepole pine forest. Some of the area was heavily burned in 1988, when I was in the area in 1993 it was well on its way to recovery. Hikers can continue from Ice Lake to Wolf Lake, Grebe Lake, and Cascade Lake, and then on to Canyon. Trailhead is 3 ½ miles from Norris – Canyon Road it is approximately ½ a K or 3/10 of a mile walk the difficulty level is Easy the trail is handicap accessible

Cascade Lake

This hike takes about 3 hours and is a very enjoyable walk through some open meadows and over small creeks. Plenty of wild life can be spotted from the trail as well as wildflowers in season. A note to consider most years, this trail remains very wet and muddy through July. The trailhead for Cascade Lake Picnic Area is 1 ½ miles North of Canyon junction on the Tower-Canyon Rd, the distance 9 miles RT and the difficulty level is Easy for this trail also On the way to Ice Lake you will pass near Virginia Cascades this fall tumbles 60 feet over a relatively gradual slope into a deep canyon. The falls are just a few feet from the roadway, and there are only a few places in which automobiles can pull off the narrow roadway to observe the falls. It is a very beautiful waterfall not far from the mouth of a lush meadow, and surrounded by a thick strand of lodgepole pines. Virginia Cascades is located 2.5 miles east of Norris Junction on the Norris to Canyon road. It is located along a mile-long side drive to the south of the main road. Here is a link to a map of the area http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/images/maps/map_entire.pdf I hope this helps you out you should have a great time they are beautiful, easy trails to start off on just remember to (A) let someone know where you are going {trail}

(B) when you should be back

(C) be bear wise and prepared

(D) Pack out what you pack in please Have a great time

R_Ranger

11:29 a.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

also make sure you get your back country permits

12:19 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Ive sent off for the backcountry permit reservation. Have you camped in this area?

1:53 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Spent a week at Wolf lake fishing, it was awesome , I took the trail head from Ice Lake going to Grebe Lake you will travel about 1/4 miles east to a big pullout on Canyon-Norris Road. There is no trailhead sign due to lack of regular maintenance on the trail, but orange markers (they should still be there) can be seen once you cross the road from the trailhead. It is about a six mile hike that follows the Gibbon River for at least 1 mile (1 km), passing Little Gibbon Falls, you will pass through dense and partially burned lodgepole pine forest, at this time of the year your traveling buddies will be moose and squirrel (sorry could not resist-HA) and mule and white tail deer and the forest, the rest of the way to Wolf Lake. Fishing is excellent with fly or bait caster, water is pristine but remember to always filter it through a filter or boil it. There are no campsites so be mindful of fire condition at this time of the year and PLEASE!! Practice good bear etiquette, {bear canisters are a must in Yellowstone Park} keep your cooking site a good 200 feet from your camp site. The stay is totally awesome you will see moose, deer, raccoon and other wild life come to drink at the lake throughout the day, very peaceful, usually has a nice gentle breeze that keeps you cool and the bugs at bay, lots of good camp sites that offer you a very nice view of the lake and mountains and keep you back in the tree line, you will have a blast! The hike in/out is moderate and if the ground is soggy you will have black flies and mosquitoes. Have Fun

Steel head trout at Wolf Lake

Wolf at Wolf lake

Mom and cub at lake for dinner and a drink

Buffolo comes for a drink

3:37 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Im not sure i understand because in one sentence you say there are no campsites but then further down you say there are lots of good campsites. We are starting at Ice lake trailhead and walking tyhe Gibbon to our first night stay at Grebe lake, then we are staying our 2nd night at wolf lake and 3rd night at cascade lake. Gonna do alot of fishing/swimming and hopefully seeing alot of wildlife to get some good photos. If you have any more pics of the area that would be awesome.

4:22 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I should have said prepared sites ya know the little areas for the tent the fire pit all dug-out for you, I was referring to several spots around the lake you can choose for "a camp site" there are no cute little pre-made site pads that’s all I was referring to sorry if I confused you

7:42 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

O. So there is no pack hangers to keep the bears out and no designated fire pits? That sucks on the yellowstone backcountry site it shows tents in that area which i fugured was designated camping areas. Did you have any more pictures of that area to send by any chance

12:37 p.m. on July 14, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Canyon Village has picnic area and camping pads but the lakes you want to go to Ice, Wolf and Grebe are all remote and have no amenities except what you bring with you, let me make sure you understand a couple of things before you go so you have a great trip. You will need bear canisters to store your food in this is a park rule if you plan on fishing You must get a park fishing permit state licenses do not apply in the park and getting caught is a hefty fine. Here is a guide I found on line for the camp sites it also has a link for back country camping http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camping-in-yellowstone.htm they recommend that you reserve early because they tend to fill up very quickly and here is one for your park fishing license http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishingpermits.htm I did not see a link to purchase one on line so you will need to stop by the ranger station to obtain one. I hope this helps I am trying to get some more of my pic’s on line for you from my trip I just need to put them on a flash and bring them into work I usually post and respond from work when I am at home I am usually busy with farm duties or BBQ/beer drinking duties but will try to get them up this weekend. R_Ranger

Also while I am thinking of it, get some parachute cord you can get this online or from any surplus store fairly cheap get about 50 feet it is great to use to hoist your gear up into a tree and can be used to secure gear to you pack or fix a guy line it has a million and 1 uses it is very light weight also. Let me know if you have any more questions to get you set to go on your trip I and the rest of the gang will be more than happy to help you get prepared to have a great time. R_Ranger

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply