Paria River/Canyon in Oct

11:16 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Can someone recommend the best footwear for hiking 44 miles of the Paria River in Oct? ANy other advice would be great!

12:31 p.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

Any good shoes for hiking are good enough for the Paria. It is not flooded with water the whole length from 89a to Lee's Ferry. Most of the water if any present will be underground in the gravel below. The Buckskin Gulch on the other hand often has pools of muddy water left from the last time it rained or water has ran down it. Sandals or shoes you don't mind getting wet work best. Leather shoes are not good as they will dry out and shrink.

If you are doing it the whole distance when you camp choose areas as high above the creek bed as possible to avoid any sudden run-off flooding. It doesn't have to be raining in the immediate area, it could be raining in Bryce 70 miles upstream and the water can still become dangerous. October is the beginning of winter so rains in the high country could be more prevalent.

I plan to hike the entire length from Lee's Ferry to Tropic Utah near Bryce in a couple years. Its about 120 miles one way. I want to hike up then resupply and hike back down. The elevation changes about 2500 feet in 120 miles an easy walk either way. To date I have only done the middle section from 89a to the confluence with the Buckskin on the AZ?UT border.

Buckskin Gulch is listed as one of the longest slot canyons in the USA at 13 miles from Wire Pass to the Confluence with the Paria. It averages as wide as a doorway and is about 600 feet deep. Not a place to be caught in a flash flood, as there is nowhere to get out.

The images below are from the Buckskin...

See my hiking buddy inthe lower middle?

Wading a long pool of of chocolate water

That log caught from high water flooding is 20 feet up.

Near the Wire Pass entrance in the west of Buckskin Gulch

A deep narrow section

This what the Paria looks like from the Confluence to about 2 miles above Lee's Ferry on the Colorado.

An area of the upper Paria where the water flows near the surface

Deep in Buckskin Gulch

Tilted and level sand dunes once laid here, now petrified into stone, hole's are ancient air and gas pockets

Like a knife's edge the sun barely makes it to the bottom in places

More deep sandstone and my buddy

Many years of sediment washed down the Paria

First of 9 wading areas in the Buckskin in mid October 2008

Taking a break after hiking down the Paria, maybe the last shade for a while

Blood like water and blue canyon walls

Rippled reflection

Somebody left their shoes and socks here. Alcove's made by caught stone boulders rolling around in the hole by flood waters rushing by.

This log is about 40 feet up...

8:19 a.m. on July 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the advice.

Curious about ankle support with a 40lb pack on my back, I see you are wearing running shoes.(?) Also, can you recommend a decent restaurant in that area once we get out!

6:55 p.m. on July 23, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

Are you going north or south? If north from Lee's Ferry to Hwy 89a, go to the Paria Outpost about a 1/2 to the west on 89a after you come out of the canyon.. They make their own bbq beef.

Go to Paria Outpost online for their website...

If going south go to the Marble Canyon Lodge to the southwest from after you hit the hwy on the west side of the Navaho Bridge. They have authentic indian tacos and frybread, plus the usual fare.

Home of the Balanced rocks and the edge of the Vermillion Cliffs

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply