yellowstone/zion

1:20 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Is anyone going to be in yellowstone on Aug. 24 - Aug. 27 and or Zion from Aug. 29 - Sept. 3rd. I will be out there with my father who feels hes to old to day hike in the backcountry and would like to meet up with a small group or something and do some small day hikes. I had plans to be camping in the backcountry with 3 other people and they all backed out so now its just me and him, i dont mind it but would like to hike while he is "Geiser Gazing" at yellowstone and would love someone to show me around the Narrows at Zion!

8:16 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Can't say anything about Yellowstone, but check out Yahoo group

Zion_National_Park_Hiking

at the following link

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_National_Park_Hiking/

My good friend Tanya Mullagan is the owner of this group. Her relatives own and run the Thunderbird Best Western in Mount Carmel Utah just 12 miles east of Zion. And my friend Joe Braun is one of the Co-managers of the group, that is one of his photos above.

It is a great place to look for fellow hikers and possible Narrows hiking partners....and to ask questions about the park!

I imagine there is Yellowstone groups too, just type in Yellowstone Nat Park at the top of the link page about where it says "Search for other groups" next to the groups title heading in green.

My member picture is me on top of Angels Landing in Zion with south lower Zion Canyon at about 930 am in Sept 2008.

9:01 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Thanks

11:37 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

If and when you go to Zion, and need a place to stay or just some good down home cooking, go over to the Thunderbird and tell'em Gary Palmer sent ya. How are you getting there? If you are flying you'll probably be going to Vegas and then drice to St George? Then up to Zion? Mount Carmel is is what is called East Zion, just 12 miles away. Beautiful country! Edge of the Grand Staircase Nat Monument in between Bryce, the Grand Canyon and Zion.

Checkerboard Mesa near the East Entrance to Zion.

Going into Cougar Canyon near Mount Carmel up Muddy Creek.

Indian Paintbrush near the mouth of Red Hollow near Orderville, just north of Mount Carmel Utah east of Zion Nat Park, western edge of the Grand Staircase.

View of the White Cliffs near Mount Carmel Utah, these are part of the Grand Staircase Nat Monument. This shot is above the East Fork of the Virgin River leading into the Parunuweap, also called by locals the Little Brother of the Zion Narrows.A little known twisting sometime dark canyon like the Zion Narrows without the crowds.

Parunuweap Narrows, one section

hineying a debri pile in the Parunuweap

More little narrows of the Parunuweap

Parunuweap is a southern Paiute Indian word meaning "Canyon that Roars" probably from the sounds they heard of rushing flood waters gushing down the canyon during seasonal floods.

Perhaps as old as 4000 years. Indian Petrigyphs cover a overhang along the Parunuweap.

In east Zion there is a side canyon called Petriglyph Canyon with 3500-4000 year old drawings.

11:38 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

If and when you go to Zion, and need a place to stay or just some good down home cooking, go over to the Thunderbird and tell'em Gary Palmer sent ya. How are you getting there? If you are flying you'll probably be going to Vegas and then drice to St George? Then up to Zion? Mount Carmel is is what is called East Zion, just 12 miles away. Beautiful country! Edge of the Grand Staircase Nat Monument in between Bryce, the Grand Canyon and Zion.

Checkerboard Mesa near the East Entrance to Zion.

Going into Cougar Canyon near Mount Carmel up Muddy Creek.

Indian Paintbrush near the mouth of Red Hollow near Orderville, just north of Mount Carmel Utah east of Zion Nat Park, western edge of the Grand Staircase.

View of the White Cliffs near Mount Carmel Utah, these are part of the Grand Staircase Nat Monument. This shot is above the East Fork of the Virgin River leading into the Parunuweap, also called by locals the Little Brother of the Zion Narrows.A little known twisting sometime dark canyon like the Zion Narrows without the crowds.

Parunuweap Narrows, one section

Stradling a debri pile in the Parunuweap

More little narrows of the Parunuweap

Parunuweap is a southern Paiute Indian word meaning "Canyon that Roars" probably from the sounds they heard of rushing flood waters gushing down the canyon during seasonal floods.

Perhaps as old as 4000 years. Indian Petrigyphs cover a overhang along the Parunuweap.

In east Zion there is a side canyon called Petriglyph Canyon with 3500-4000 year old drawings.

12:16 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Pictures are awesome. We are driving but we will definately check the place out

11:41 p.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

How old is your Dad? I am going on 55 and still hike well. I was 52 when in 2008 I hiked to the top of Angels Landing in the shot of me left in my profile image.

Here I am in 2006 on Scouts Lookout at age 50. Angels Landing is behind me another 1200 feet higher.

But the Zion Narrows which begins with the sidewalk trail called the Riverwalk from the Temple of Sinawava is easy too, many older men and women do it everyday. The narrows start at the end of the mile long Riverwalk. Its just as easy, just need good river shoes and a stout walking stick. There's a place in Springdale just southwest of Zions south entrance that rents sturdy wading boots and walking staffs.

The river itself is a shallow wade at an average of calfdeep. Just follow the rest of the walkers. Orderville Canyon comes into the narrows from the east about 2 miles in and Big Springs are about 5 miles upstream in the narrows.

7:14 a.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I saw your other picture of the way up to Angel's Landing. Amazing anybody has the nerve to walk up there.

8:36 a.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Gary, should you not use collapsable hiking stick in the narrows? and what do you consider sturdy wading boots? would regular hiking boots not be good for this, we both have 2 pair of hiking boots one to get wet and one not to

12:37 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

A collapsable stick would work, just need something that will steady the stream crossings. The stream is filled with bowlingball sized rocks and in someplaces there is just deep sand. And yes a good hiking boot you don't mind getting thoroughly wet and soggy. Just be sure its a sturdy boot with good support. Some people like me, who have hiked the narrows many times wear sandals, but these need to have something covering the toe as the rocks are tough on exposed digits. I personally when I do the Narrows in the heat of summer hike on the opposite side from the tourist route which goes thru the shallowest section. For me the fun of the narrows is the deep water sctions opposite the tourists where the water rushing along the cliffs is often over my head and briskly cold. I usually fight the current in these areas going up, then turn a float down them on the way back, while the tourists look and gasp as the cold water overwhelms me. Saying "Is'nt that cold?' I say yes, but thats what makes it fun.

I last hiked the Narrows in July 2007 when I was 51, so I think you Dad should be able to do it.

Dont look down! Angels Landing Trail come right to the edge.

The knife's edge the worst scarest section of the Angels Landing trail It goes straight up thru the trees in the center of the picture. At the bottom there foreground its about 10 feet side to sdie with a 1200 foot drop on one side and a 1600 foot drop on the other.The stone bock at the top is near the very top of A.L.

View of Big Bend at bottom right where the Zion free shuttle stops looking north towards the Narrows which is near the end of the morning shadow where the little notch is and the deep shadow starts again. Taken about 9 am in Sept 2008 from Scouts Lookout halfway to Angels Landing.

On the way up from close to the bottom looking back down Zion Canyon at about 8 am.

A park ranger in disquise comes to check on our food leftovers

The ever changing sandstone, there is a dust cloud above the lower tree's in the shadowed section of the canyon where a sandstone something fell a moment before. Scouts lookout is the center ridge and the West Rim is on the upper horizon looking back from Angels Landing west.

Angels Landing on the right at 730 am. The lowest point is called Refrigerator Canyon. The suns first rays hit the white sandstone points above the West Rim

By 9:30 am it was getting crowed on Angels Landing so we one of the first to get there that morning left. The Great White Throne is seen still in shadow on the opposite side to the east.

Refrigerator Canyon trail and tourists. Called so because the canyon gets little sun even in midday so it stays in the shade and colder than the surrounding country.

My friend Paul on Scouts Lookout with northZion Canyon behind in morning shadow.

Stay to the flat side of the trail here. Simple Chain fence to stop you from going over, Not! At least one person a year falls to their death on the Angels Landing Trail.

My friend Paul and I on Angels Landing Sept 2008 about 9 am.

After sunset the moon above an old homestead near the mouth Coal Pitts Wash below Rockville outside west Zion.

1:34 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Looks awesome I cant wait to go. I dont think i will be able to go further than scouts lookout, i still havent shaken my fear of heights and im a smoker so the steep climb, narrow trail and big dropoffs will probably keep me from going any further at this time. How is the trail up to scouts, is it pretty scarry for someone afraid of heights?

2:00 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

From the canyon bottom in Zion to Scouts Lookout is easy with no areas for the faint of heart. It is a paved trail to Scouts Lookout. It take an average walker/hiker about an hour to an hour and a half from the trailhead. Start early before sunrise to see the best views. It will still be rather warm in late September so an early start will make the hike better. So many wait till mid morning, miss the sunrise from the lookout and get too hot. There is no water along the way, but a restroom just before Scouts lookout. The views up and down the canyon are great.

If you are doin the narrows that can be started in midmorning as the canyon will be chilly especially after the mile long paved Riverwalk. The water section is best whe the sun is hgh both for warth and to be able to see the canyon as it runs on a north/south direction and gets sunlight to the bottom during midmorning to mid day best.

You may not make it to Big Spring, but at least to where Orderville Canyon comes in from the east. A short hike up it is also worth it to the first main waterfall.

Look for canyoneers rappelling down the sides of the canyon in places. There are many side canyons that don't fully enter the narrows so the canyoneers have to rappel down from the so called "Hanging Canyons' into the main Narrows to exit them.

Look for this feature near the mouth of the Narrows it is called the Tetmple of Sinawava and also the Preacher and Pulpit.

Zion was first settled in the late 1800s by Mormans. In fact the name Virgin was the last name of one of the first settlers in the lower canyon. Up to about where the Vistitor Center is was many ranch houses and farms. The name Zion comes from the Morman bible for the name of heaven. Many of the names given to stone peaks are names from Morman elders and Morman ideals.

3:08 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

so when i get to the river i go up stream to get to the waterfall, do you have a topo map showing where that is, my dad is pretty cautios person dont wanna get caught by a flashflood so the more research i have to show him things it helps him feel at ease, how far of a walk do you think it is from where the riverwalk meets the river to the waterfall, would love to see that. Sorry for all the questions just amped up to go. I have 9 days till were outta here. the pictures you have are amazing. what do you do to protect your camera, (water, falling etc) i have good waterproof bags and it will be in a case but i think i like to take photos as much as you it looks like and this definately seems to be an area where you wont want to be without your camera but am kinda worried because its a rather expensive camera, not an SLR but real close.

6:00 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

You have nine days. My PC is in the shop (just today put it there), as soon as I get it out and can access my maps I will post one here. Should'nt be more than a couple days in the shop. But I will be able to send you a downloadable printable map to use and show your dad.

6:09 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Actually send me an email me at cpatflgaz@yahoo.com and I will send you the map I made to show you the Narrows from the Temple of Sinawava to Orderville Canyon. I am on a library PC and figured out how to send the map tp myself then can forward it to you. Be sure to put "Temple of Sinawava" in the Subject line so I know its you.

3:27 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Please email me ASAP at my email above and I will send you the map showing the Zion narrows from the Temple of Sinawava to where Ordervill canyon comes with mileage sectioning on the topo.

I am still on a library computer and can't copy and paste it here. Will be at least Monday before i get my laptop out of the shop.

This is at Artists veiwpoint in Yellowstone. This is lower yellowstone falls in the Grand canyon of the Yellowstone.

This is Old faithful erupting with the Yellowstone Lodge to the left.

This Yellowstone lake, which is a volcanic caldera filled with water. It is about the same size as Lake tahoe or about 200 miles around. This was shot in May 2008. There is still snow on the peaks on the other side of the lake.

This is called Shield Geyser. It does'nt look as much like a geyser as Old faithful. Some go off every few minutes, some once and hour like O.F. some avery other day and some have been known to wait 20 years to erupt.

This the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The colors are from different minerals in the volcanic ash leaching out over thousands of years. The high cliff there is about 2000 feet above the river below.

Here is a boiling hot spring shooting hot minerised water up from below. All springs and geysers are spring fed which is what mathe be able to erupt or stay filled with water.

This is a hot springs. I used a polarised filter to bring out the colors. This is waht it looks like to the eye.

This is the lower yellowstone river with trees burnt in the Yellowstone fire of 1988. Few trees here survived the blaze that burnt 1/2 the park. Started in early spring by lightning not someones campfire. The park smoldered all summer. Wind blown smoke madethe streets of Jackson 60 miles to the south impossible to see across like thick fog.

A small but well erupting geyser in yellowstone. The orange color is lichen and other algae-like animals that live in the boiling water.

An old cabin homestead down in Jackson Hole with the Tetons behind.

These twi pictures are from the same place up cache Creek in summer and winter looking back towards Jackson Hole.

10:04 a.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

WE were in yellowstone in mid may 2008, beautiful place and beautiful time of year. What do you recommend on keeping your camera safe in the narrows area? i am sending you an email now for the TOPO

1:42 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

A good camera drybag like the rafting companies use is best. I have used something as simple as a large Ziploc bag to keep my camera safe from accidental dunkings. But a good waterproof bag is best. If you have a camera shop where you live ask them about it. There are several models of camera bags out there. I have used different ones, some were convenient others were good but hard to get you camera out of in a hurry when I wanted to take a shot. There are good waterproof camera out there too. Most are the point and shoot sort, but small compact digital camera's these days take great shots.

8:39 a.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Thanks for all the great advice and the map. It should make this trip muche better.

3:10 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

So you also saw my recommendation of the DiCAPac WPS10 Waterproof Case for SLR & DSLR's ? I have one of these and it is nice case while the camera is in the softcase you can still use all the camera's funtions and take pictures thru its clear shield in front of the main lens. It adapts to some laonger telephoto lense's too. Click on the blue under-lined words above for more information.

4:14 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I went and looked at one of those today along with a circular polarization filter at our local camera shop. bought the filter for now. Will probably be back to by the case on Friday. Again thanks for the advice

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply