Looking for some more advice!

7:15 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

So the last time I came to this website, I got some awesome advice on a trip to the Smokies..

And it was one of the best trips I've ever had.

So, i'd like to tap into everyones knowledge and see if i can hit another one "outta the park"

Myself and 2 other friends are looking for a destination around this time frame.

September 24th - October 7th

We are looking for a 6 night trip, with 2 days of driving, and we live in Chicago.

Our thoughts are this right now...

Yellowstone
Rockies
Smokies

Anything farther west than those first 2 is simply too long for us to drive, we might consider flying but I think it might be a bit expensive for all of us!

Other thoughts that I had were the UP and maybe the Badlands.

Any help would really be appreciated!

thanks,

Jim

9:04 p.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

How is Pictured Rocks?

Can you do the entire trail in 3 days?

12:07 p.m. on August 20, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

The Adirondacks in upstate NY have alot of options for you. www.adk.org has lots of information.

12:04 a.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

The only advise I can offer would be for the Southern Appalachians, and since you have already been to GSMNP (Smokies) maybe you want to visit another area.

5:59 a.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I know you can get to the Front Range of the Rockies at Denver from downstate Illinois in about 18 hours, so Rocky Mountain National Park might be within range -- but I think you might face a risk of getting snowed on that late in the season.

9:21 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I know you can get to the Front Range of the Rockies at Denver from downstate Illinois in about 18 hours, so Rocky Mountain National Park might be within range -- but I think you might face a risk of getting snowed on that late in the season.

Ya, I've been to RMNP 3 times... and that was another thought, but they do get some snow so that was my only concern.

9:41 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

anybody know anything about the boiling river in yellowstone??

heard that was pretty cool!

3:14 p.m. on August 29, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I'm planning a 9 day hike at Isle Royale NP, next yr I think. Your time frame is a bit late in the yr as only one boat running, to Rock Harbor on the east end of the island. I will have a food cache mailed to the Windigo ranger station on the west end. The store at Windigo closes like Sept 13 or so. Anyway, is right at 100 mi round trip, almost entirely on different trails, so a nice big loop. The Trails Illustrated map is good.

I've just finished the Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier so I know I can do this at Isle Royale. The WT was superb, though your sched is too late for that also.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply