10 forum posts
I came to this site with this post:
Thanks to the advice from Gary Palmer and Bill S, the trip is now ON! I applied for and received the permits for October 9th and 10th. I will be doing the hermit trail as Gary had initially recommended.
In the meantime, I hiked Yosemite, after which I switched to lightweight and did two rather grueling 46 mile Rae Lakes loop in Kings canyon with very experienced hikers. Now I think I am at least partly ready for leading the Grand Canyon hike. Since I am the trip leader, and unfortunately all the planning and logistics work has fallen on me.I have a few question and would appreciate your input.
1. Is it wise to drive 13 miles to the south rim village before the hike. We will have all our gear and I do not want them to mess with my equipment in a flight.
2. I know the temperature ranges from 85 to 60, but what are the chances of rain? It seems like October receives 4 cm of rain. How probable is it?
3. Is am altimeter important for navigation? I have a high res map and I can navigate reasonable well without the altimeter.
4. How is the water availability? Right now I am planning to carry a 3L camelback.
5. Are there any Grand Canyon specific emergency or safety equipment that I have to carry?
Thank you for your responses.