Foot Hills Trail

9:18 p.m. on October 13, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

So in a few days I will be on my first solo, I called the park office today and the woman said that there is no water. She told me that I would have to carry any water I needed. So I have a total of 8 pounds of water, I added two 20oz. bottles to my pack. That is pushing the weight to over 30 pounds. Looks like the weather is going to be nice, I may elect to leave rain gear at the car. Is that a bad idea?

11:13 a.m. on October 14, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I would not go out without some type of rain protection/shelter. If you have a tent that could be enough. But consider that if you do find yourself out and it does rain, you would either be confined to your tent, or you would have to use the rainfly as a poncho. I have used nothing but a silnylon poncho in 3 seasons for years, but I wouldn't want to try using my rainfly as a poncho unless I had to.

How long will you be out?

9:15 p.m. on October 14, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I agree with gonzan, I would not go out without some form of rain protection, weather in the area can be unpredictable. I like how the weather guys give a 5 day forecast and many times change it every couple days, not picking at them, that's just the way the weather is.

Which section of the trail are you doing Mike?

9:31 p.m. on October 14, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

In my experience leaving rain gear behind guarantees rain

Ed

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply