Asheville NC

11:10 p.m. on October 16, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

I am considering moving to Asheville NC. I have heard and read that it is a hub for numerous outdoor activities, which is something I am looking for. One thing that holds me back though, is that it is so far from the beach! I do miss the mountains though so i am trying to decide if this is a place I would like to live. Anyone who lives in this area, any info you could give me would be helpful! What do you like/not like about it? what is there to do there? etc..

Thanks!

7:26 p.m. on October 18, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Wish I could help more, I've never lived in Asheville.

I have backpacked in the area, as well as fished, rafted, etc. I have always considered the Asheville area as the backpacking & trout fishing Mecca of the southeast. Several other places come in a quick second I think.

I live 35 minutes from the beach myself, and I still drive 5 hours to go to NC to backpack and fish. I guess everyone is different but I would love to live in the Asheville area.

2:01 a.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Native Mainer that spent about a decade in Belmont within the 128 loop, after putting in some haad time in Back Bay and Allston, although it sounds like your more on the Pittsfield or south shore side of Mass...  

In a word or two, Asheville rocks.  If I had one place to move (and believe me I'd be considering a move if I wasn't underwater in my home) that wasn't back to the northeast it would be Asheville.  It's kinda like a Northampton of the south, very culturally diverse, a younger population in town surrounded by a bunch of retiring Yankee boomers in the gated communities outlying the city, incredible arts scene, really nice people, and pretty like the NE mountains without the blistering cold days that make you want to stay home...  Oh yeah, NO BUGS IN THE SUMMAH!  Plus like Trout said, lots of things to do that are Trailspace friendly.     

2:00 p.m. on January 18, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

yes I am from Western Mass, what gave me away? :o) thank you for your comments! That is what originally drew me to Asheville is that the mountains do look similar to NE. no bugs in the summer sounds awesome! I am going to visit Asheville this spring too see how I like it.

11:17 p.m. on January 20, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I also am thinking about a move to that area. But I would like to be closer to Boone. The other place I am looking at is Summersville/Richwood WV.

11:11 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Hey there, I've lived in Va Beach my whole life, so I feel ya on the beach part. Before I meet my wife, I considered moving myself to Asheville, NC, just because it is a mecca for the outdoors. 

There is a huge down side to why I didn't move, the economy there sucks, it's even worse right now. Asheville relies heavily on tourism, and a lot of the locals don't like tourist. Which is odd, given it's economy.

I don't know if you have a job going their, but it's worth looking into. 

Anyways, Asheville is a good 4 5 hour depending on traffic drive from here. Great place, but I just couldn't come up with a way support myself if I moved there at the time. Of course, this was in 2007 when things where a bit worse.

11:48 a.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I lived in Newport New for about 5 years, loved the beach. But I could not find a good full time job there. However I worked temp jobs and some very good ones. CEBAF in the cryo lab, NASA, worked on the aircraft carrier T. Rossevelt, battle ship Iowa and Langely. Couple of companies located on Witchduck Rd., repaired copy machines. I fished at Ft. Monore all the time. I just could not get anything full time. Left in 94 and went back to Pittsburgh, Pa. However now I am not looking for a job, so the job market is not a factor. I am looking for trout fishing and hiking. I can build my bamboo fly rods if the economy gets better.

7:24 a.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I don't know what you do or can do for a living, but I'd have to echo some of the other comments. I've been to Asheville a few times and it's a great little city, but that is also the prob. It is still a little city. I'd love to live there, but there's no job opportunities for me.

I grew up on the other side of the mountains in Knoxville, Tenn. and now live in Chattanooga. I would suggest looking into those places as well.

I'm probably a little bias since I live in Chattanooga now, but I would suggest looking here. Personally, I think it's even better than Asheville. It's a big enough city there are jobs and we are recovering nicely. We just got a new VW plant that's opening in weeks, Amazon is moving in, and there's plant expansions going on everywhere. The downtown here is awesome and you are about two hours from Atlanta and Nashville and within minutes of great hiking on the Cumberland Plateau or the North Georgia mountains.

The Smokies are a two hour drive and if you want to go to the beach you can hit Panama City Fla or Jeckyll Island Ga in about four hours.

Okay. That's my Chamber of Commerce speech.

10:26 p.m. on January 30, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

I just got back today from a 3 day trip to Asheville(got back Sunday, Jan 30), and gotta say it's a good place when compared to many other cities in the Southeast.  Of course, I lived in Boone NC for 30 years and so Asheville at one time seemed too urban and busy, but after spending 10 years in East TN, returning to NC and Asheville for a few days was a real nice change O pace.  Prices are higher than in TN, or course(gas was between 3.14 and 3.29 a gallon).

I know the area around Asheville pretty good and have backpacked thru most of the peripheral areas including Shining Rock, Pisgah and the Wilson Creek area(highly recommended, esp Upper Creek and Harpers Creek), the Celo area around Mt Mitchell, the southern area around Hendersonville(home of Mother Earth News)and Brevard and Franklin, and others.

It's pretty easy getting around Asheville and it's sort of the epicenter to many different national forests like the Nantahala, the Pisgah and the Cherokee in TN.  And of course it's close to the Smokies and the Cherokee Indian land, and not too far from the Appalachian Trail and the NOC, the Nantahala Outdoor Center(drove thru there on the way home today).

Even better places are Boone and Blowing Rock, North Jefferson and Sparta, and Damascus, Virginia.

8:16 p.m. on February 19, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

thank you all for your comments! They have really helped and given me a lot to think about. I think I would love to live in Asheville but I am worried about being able to find jobs there as I have heard this is difficult there. I am trying to decide if maybe I should move to Denver for a few years  to go back to school and then maybe move to Asheville to settle down later. we'll see, Im going to visist both places in the spring :o)

10:36 a.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I moved to Asheville from Atlanta a few years ago and I just can't say enough good things about it.  Great music scene (Tony Rice, Mike Gordon and Queens of the Stone Age all coming in the next few days alone), more breweries per capita than any other town in the country, incredible restaurants, huge arts scene, and of course the epicenter for mountain recreation in the Southeast.  It is impossible to be bored here.  The people are cool too.  Very eclectic (especially downtown and West Asheville). 

Moving here was actually a compromise between me and my wife.  She wanted to stay in the Southeast and I wanted to move Out West so we settled on Asheville.  Now, I will say that the other posters are right, it is hard to get a job here, but not impossible.  It took me about a year of making contacts and waiting for a job to open up in my field before I landed one.  Just be patient.

asheville-skyline.jpg

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply