About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Sabino Basin and Seven Falls in the Catalina's near Tucson

11:29 a.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

In early November I am hoping to get down to Tucson and hike the Sabino Canyon to Sabino Basin, Hutches Pool and Sycamore Canyon. Then out via Thimble Peak to Seven Falls in Bear Canyon in the southwest area of the Catalina Mountains below Mt Lemmon.

I used to winter in Tucson from 1983 to 1996 and did this hike on a regualr basis almost every chance I could. Tucson winters are mild and I used tocompare them to Jackson Hole's summers.

The fall colors here around downtown Flagstaff are beginning to show in the Cottonwoods, but the Aspens up around the peaks started showing gold a month ago. Soon the colors will change and winter will be here. It will be nice to get down south for a week and have some warmer days.

IMG_0002.jpg

New snow on the Peak's above Flagstaff. Highest point seen is Agazzi at 11,800. The lower looking peak with snow is Mt Humphreys at 12,633 highest point in Arizona.

10:58 a.m. on November 2, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

This weekend I am going down to Tucson AZ to spend a couple weeks hiking, camping and sightseeing. I have lived in Tucson before back between 1983 and 1991 in the winters after spending my summers in Jackson Hole, WY.

I plan to hike for a few days in the Sabino and Bear Canyon area, then go to the Arizona Desert Museum, maybe get to a place called Tanque verde Falls in the Rincon Mountain east of the city. Also look up old friends if any are still around. Also seeing an old Spanish mission and historic old Tucson and the campus of the U of Arizona.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply