anyone have info on jenny Jump state park NJ?

6:52 p.m. on November 14, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I am looking for any information or heard of the length of jenny Jump state forest in New Jersey. I would like to take a nice leasure backpack trip in the area since it looks like Pennsylvania.LOL  Would love any and all insight. Thanks much.

10:17 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I assume you have already gone to Jenny Jump by now, but just in case you were planning for the future, I will tell you what I know.  Jenny Jump SP is an awesome little park, however, I do not think there are back country sites available or permitted.  The park has very nice walk-in campsites.  Each site is secluded.  My personal favorite is No. 11. From the parking lot you have to climb about 30 stone steps to reach this very cool, secluded plateau campsite.  The trails in the park are well marked.  The trail that passes behind site 11 by about 100 feet is the middle ridge trail I believe.  There are amazing views of the Delaware Water Gap from this trail at sunset.  If camping and day hiking is what you want, this is an awesome park.  

If you are looking for excellent back packing, travel about 10 miles NW from Jenny Jump and you will be in the Delaware Water Gap.  The DWG is made up of several parks, Worthington SP and Stokes SF.  There is an Appalachian Trail head right on route 80 with plenty of parking just before leaving NJ.  I backpacked to Sunfish Pond for my very first trip from that lot.  You cannot setup up camp at the pond, but a 1/4 mile prior to the pond, is the back packing area with several privies and bear safes and hooks.  There was a very friendly ranger who checked on us while we were enjoying a nice sunset dinner on a ledge overlooking Sunfish Pond.  On your way to Sunfish, if you went out of your way, you could climb Mt. Tammany.  From Mt. Tammany, there are amazing views of Mt. Minsi, especially at sunrise.  You can climb Mt. Minsi in PA too, ( just South of RT 80 parking area) but I would suggest doing that at sunset for stunning views of Mt. Tammany.  I have also hiked the 7 mile loop to Catfish pond, just farther North from Sunfish Pond.  There are some nice ridge views and a fire tower.  I accessed this area from Blairstown.

You could also backpack into the campsites along the Round Valley Reservoir about 35 min South of Jenny Jump.  RRR has 80 sites spread around the reservoir.  You cannot drive to any of them.  The sites are either a 3-7 mile hike in, or an hour paddle across the reservoir, weather permitting. 

I hope this helps.  This is a very nice area of NJ with plenty of parks to explore.

12:09 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

FlashPacker ~~

Several years ago, I hiked numerous trails around Dela Water Gap.   There was a climb ... could have been Mt. Tammany.  I wasn't interested in memorizing names of places ... just wanted to hike.

Anyhow, I was surprised by the vertical angles of the climb.  Fortunately, I always have along a pair of light leather work gloves.   I needed them, grabbing ledges, saplings, etc., for assistance going up.

Do you think I was at Mt. Tammany?  It was moderately challenging.   Took about 3-4 hours up and back down.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply