Peakbagger

11:49 a.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I ran across this site Peakbagger.com, there is a club that awards a patch if you sumitt one of the over 40 peaks in NC that are at least 6000 ft. I was wondering if anyone on this site was into this. It sounds like a fun quest that I may get involved with.http://www.blueridgefieldjournal.com/2009/12/the-southern-sixers-40-peaks-above-6000-feet/ this is another site I found.

11:59 a.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

If it sounds fun to you, go for it!

I've done all 67 of the New England 4,000-footers (and higher): http://www.amc4000footer.org/ne4.htm

If you fill out the application you can get the patches.

I finished right before I got pregnant with kid number one.

I'd still like to finish the New England hundred highest list, but just haven't had the chance with two little kids. I will though.

Sometimes peakbaggers are presented as if they only do it for the goal and don't enjoy the process, but I don't think that's true, at least for me. I think peak bagging is good fun, if it inspires you to get out more and do something you enjoy.

2:10 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I really don't see how you could be out there and not enjoy it, I like getting out even in the area that I am stuck in right now. My fondest memories are trips to the mountains with a friend and his Dad. We would go to Potter county Pa. for trout fishing and Elk county for deer hunting. My Dad never took me anywhere, and I was very lucky that my buddy's Dad would take me along. Anyway, I hope that I can get up there and do some of these summits.

3:49 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,203 forum posts

It links to summitpost.com which I use in my planning phase before a trip. 

7:54 p.m. on November 24, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

Sounds like you'll have fun no matter what gets you out there, Mike.

I say, print off the list of peaks and the next time you're looking for some new inspiration pick one off the list and discover a new spot. You might hooked on doing them all. And even if you don't, you'll enjoy the ones you do.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply