Fiery Gizzard (Chattanooga area hikers)

12:46 p.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Hey, we talked a few weeks ago about doing a hike around the Chattanooga area for those who live around these parts, or others who used to live in these parts.

I was thinking of heading up to Fiery Gizzard on Saturday, Dec. 11. Wondered if any of you all would want to join me. Will be a long day hike, not a backpack.

10:33 a.m. on November 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I can not go, would love to though. I will be able to get out of town after the first of the year, and would love to come up for a hike with you guys in the Chat. area.

Do you know which direction you will be hiking that trail yet?

If you have done that trail before you know about the long boulder field at the end of the trail, (or first part depending on direction of travel) if you haven't had the fine pleasure of navigating it let me fore warn you, it will sap the strength out of you if you do that part (boulder field) last.

The boulder field was nick named the Fruit Bowl, and IF memory serves me you could navigate around the Fruit bowl via the Dog Hole Trail (?) and end up back on the Fiery Gizzard Trail. At least you could when I hiked it last.

The Fiery Gizzard is a great day hike, (all day) and I always found it to be very rewarding, and challenging.

If you don't already have one here is a free download-able PDF Trail map and point to point trail description.

http://www.friendsofscsra.org/downloads/fiery-gizzard-trail-map-2008-june.pdf

This photo was taken at either Savage Gulf, or Fiery Gizzard, I'm not sure. I'm thinking it is Raven's Point on the Fiery Gizzard.
2813680159_c03712e471_mRavens_Point.jpg

I hope you have a blast, and some company!

3:06 p.m. on November 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Sorry you couldn't make it man. Lets plan for something later.

I have heard about that boulder field. I didn't realize it was on the beginning/end though.

8:00 p.m. on November 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Rocklion,

I would seriously like to plan on a trip, it would be really cool for me to go on a trip with some of you guys.

What other trails have you planned on doing? Or have you gotten that far yet?

9:06 a.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Unfortunately, I also would not be able to go that weekend, December is already scheduled up to the hilt.  I also think it would be great if a trip with you guys works out.

Maybe we can plan one for when Trout is able to make it up this way.

In the meantime, any day hike I plan that would be conducive to meeting new trail friends I will post as well.

11:41 a.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Let's see here. Going on an overnighter in January up to the Roan Highlands. Then in Spring heading to Big Frog Mountain in the Cohuttas and doing an overnighter on top of the mountain.

I'm also looking at a day hike in the spring up to Whiggs Meadow and just into Joyce Kilmer Forest off Cherohala Skyway.

I'm open to wherever. Maybe we could go ahead and schedule a day a few months in advance so we go ahead and mark it on our calendars.

12:18 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Scheduling a day well in advance sounds like a good idea. 

To make it likely that at least all four of us (Rocklion, Trout, SEhiker, & me) are able to go, it may ne helpful or necessary to do something close-ish to town. Right outside Chattanooga there is Falling Water Gorge, North Chickamauga pocket, Rainbow Falls gorge. A little further away are  Laurel-Snow pocket, Cloudland Canyon, and Fiery Gizzard. A bit further still is Bigfrog and endless possibilities in the Cherokee NF.

All present great day hikes, and many of them would provide overnight possibilities.

I am open to whatever works for all.

(PS if you haven't been to Hucklberry Knob before, I would recommed it over Whig for a day hike. They are both great, The balds at Huckleberry are natural and just a little more prestine)

2:35 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Rocklion,

I also will not be able to make it on 12/11/10 because my wife is graduating from Lee that day, so that weekend is off limits.

I work on Saturdays (not Sundays), but as long as I have a few week’s notice I can generally get off without any problem.

I am looking forward to hiking with you guys and will also post any planned day trips to let you guys know about them.

2:49 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Okay, so all of us have responded and at least we now have a place to start planning some things out. Let's start looking at a day. Early Spring, late Spring? Make a difference? I'm wide open at this point. 

Since Trout is coming from so far away, I was just wanting to make sure it would be a nice memorable trip for him. But if he's okay with it, we can stay close by. Also, don't forget Snooper's Rock and Edward's Point. Those are good little hikes not far away. Although, they would take less than a day.

I hadn't heard of Huckleberry Knob. Just Googled it and now there's another bald up there I'm salivating over. Thanks gonzan. :-)

3:22 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Fantastic! I should be able to commit a slot in my schedule most any time after the 2nd week in January. I like getting out in winter, so that is not an obstacle for me. We definitely want to make sure we schedule it when trout will be in town- my thought is the rest of us as a group or individually can meet up whenever we want (or not, who knows, we might not like each other :)

I am likely up for something more ambitious than a short hike- my first objective for the trip is to meet all three of you out on the trail. My thought is to avoid the potentiality of putting someone out of the running by making it too far away or too large of a time commitment. But if everyone is game for Fiery G or someplace up in the Cherokee or Nantahala, I am definitely in.

So, it seems we need to define:

> Availability and Desired Scope of the Trip/Hike (length, difficulty, time involved)

> Date(s)

> Location for trip

> Details and specifics

Thoughts?

Rocklion, Hucklberry is one of my favorite "easy" spots, as it is less than 2mi to the top of Big Huckleberry. On the hike in you pass over Oak Knob, also a large open bald. I would highly recommend continuing off the north side of Big Huckleberry (the high, main bald) and down the razorback to Little Huckleberry. It is an un-tended scrubby bald and the lead out to it is really stunning.

3:37 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Gonzan,

I also like winter trips, so somtime in Jan. would be fine with me.

5:48 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Third week of January I'm already committed to a snowshoe backpack up in the Roan Highlands, so that would be out. I've got a wife and two kids, one kid is a newborn, so I'd be hardpressed getting out again so soon from that backpacking trip. The misses might not like it.

I could definitely do February or March. I like winter myself. Nice and cool, no bugs and no people.

I'm still kind of keen on Fiery Gizzard. I'd love to do that. I think I'm shifting my own plans for next week a bit since you all won't be able to come. I'm taking a day off from work on Dec. 13, so I think I just may head up to Edward's Point that day and do some of the Cumberland Trail.

Maybe we could do Fiery Gizzard in early February? Are there some waterfalls on that hike? I've heard the waterfalls freeze over in the winter up there. Would love to see that.

Plus, it would be a good trip for the winter cabin fever blues.

7:05 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I'm cool with February or March

There are 2  water falls on the fiery gizzard IIRC and a small pool of water at one, maybe both. There is also a creek that runs beside the trail at the South terminus (?), I need to look at my topo again really. It's been a while, I'm kinda surprised I seem to have forgotten so much.

The Fiery Gizzard is a long strenuous trail, I think everyone should consider that.

I'm not too picky myself, I just like to get out there.

8:56 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

The Fiery Gizzard is a long strenuous trail, I think everyone should consider that.

Very true. And if we're doing it in the winter, we're not going to have as much light. May need to look at an alternative.

Savage Gulf North Rim is one of my favorite hikes. Lots of good views, got the one waterfall you can get to easily. It's not that far away either. You go over 127 it's only an easy 40 minute drive from Chattanooga with scenery. We could just hike that and turn around and head back midway through the day.

Just sad not to be able to ice skate on that pond on Fiery Gizzard. :-P

10:43 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I'd be up for Fiery Gizzard if everyone else is. I haven't ever hiked it, so it is definitely one I'd like to do sometime. I am also glad to go somewhere else if it works for everyone else.

Shall we select a few places as options,  each rank them, and then add them to see which one comes out with the highest score?

7:18 a.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

We could do that. Not saying I wouldn't be up for Fiery Gizzard. If Trout and Southeast want to plunge ahead  on it, I'd say go for it.

Lets not get the ranking system to complicated. Maybe do top 5? I'll go first.

1. Fiery Gizzard

2. Savage Gulf North Rim

3. Big Frog Mountain peak in the Cohuttas

4. Snooper's Point and part of Pot Point Loop

5. Laurel Snow Pocket Wilderness

8:53 a.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

1. Fiery Gizzard

2. N Chickamauga Creek Pocket

3. Big Frog

4. Laurel-Snow Pocket

5. Savage Gulf North Rim

(this lists where I would like to go completely removed from any other considerations. If someone couldn't do Fiery Gizzard because of time constraints, I am fine with dropping it from my list)

12:23 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

I have not hiked any on these trails:

Fiery Gizzard

N Chickamauga Creek Pocket

or

Snooper's Point and part of Pot Point Loop

So, I guess I would like to push these to the top of the list. Also, do any of you guys know anything about Prentice Cooper? I have not hiked it, and dont know if its worth considering or not, I just know its close to Chatt.

1:14 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Snooper's Point and Pot Point are in Prentice Cooper. One reason I put them on the list. Snooper's Rock has a great view. It's also a pretty easy hike.

1:51 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Cool, I have been wanting to check the Prentice Cooper are out.

2:40 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Rainbor Lake, Raindow Falls, and Edwards Point are all in Prentice Cooper as well, just on the East side of Suck Creek. I am not familiar with Snoopers Point or Pot Point.

The hike out to Edwards point is pretty overworn, especially since there are so many ATV'ers that tear things up out there. The Rainbow Falls gorge is pretty nice though, and the Cumberland Trail section  from Signal Point to Edwards point is a bit less torn up than coming in from the north side. Signal Point is also just down the street from my house.

A single route, and a pretty easy day hike, would take you past Rainbow Lake, down to Rainbow Falls, and out to Edwards point.  I would prefer going somewhere else, but only because it is pretty much my back yard, so I can go there just about anytime I want.

3:48 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Gonzan, thats totally understandable.

4:26 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Gonzan:

Snooper's Rock is off Suck Creek Mountain Road. You go up Suck Creek, get to the top and then there's a bunch of signs pointing toward Prentice Cooper. You get to a gravel road and if you take that for about two miles, there's a pulloff on the left hand side. You take the trail down and it hooks up with the Cumberland Trail. It's a pretty neat trail. You walk down through a cliff side and get to a place called Indian Rock, which is a big rock overhang. Keep hiking, you can get to Snooper's Rock. I like it better than Edward's Point, actually. Got a great view of the gorge. Keep going you hit Pots Point and it goes to a natural bridge.

I haven't been on Pots Point yet. Last time I went that ways I missed the turn on to it apparently.

And I know exactly what you mean about backyard. lol. That's why I'm not sold on North Chick. I live 10 minutes from it and it's like my go to hike.

I have been thinking about hitting the trail to Edward's Point from the high school. I've gotten there from Signal Point. Maybe it isn't worth it.

6:51 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

1. Savage Gulf North Rim

2. Fiery Gizzard

3. Laurel Snow Pocket

4. Big Frog

5. Prentice Cooper

Forming a list, and other criteria  is a good idea Gonzan.

Rocklion, when is the last time you did North Chick? Do you hike all the way to the campsite by the waterfall, 'bout 5 miles?

I love North Chick Pocket, that's the first real backpack I did long before the area was developed like it is today, that's also the place I trained my last dog to backpack with me.

This is a photo of my dog just above the waterfall near the coal mines. I think he had more fun than I did.
2814523068_2027633db3bingo.jpg

Southeasthiker, I love winter too!

My only reservation about doing Fiery Gizzard is that a while back I strained my knee, but it seems to be doing much better now and I have started lifting weights with it again.

I also love Savage Gulf, a lot of good trails there and plenty to do and see.

I haven't done Big Frog, but I have hiked North of the area.

I haven't done Prentice Cooper either.

Again I'm not picky.

10:50 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Big Frog is an okay hike, it’s basically 5.5 miles uphill and 5.5 miles downhill. I was unable to find any good viewpoints, I don’t know if I happened to miss them or if it was because of the density of the trees or the rain cloud I was in.

I talked to one guy after I got back and he said there is a good view off the side of the top that is not overly apparent, since I didn't know until I was back from the trip, I was unable to find it.

The best part of the trip was this:
DSC_0004.jpg

It's a super cool tunnel that you have to walk through.

Over all I think its a good hike, but nothing monumental.

6:52 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Cool shot Southeast. What time of the year did you go? One reason I like hiking in winter is because of the views. No leaves equal being able to see more. Still may be no good views though.

Trout> Are you talking about North Chick Pocket or Laurel-Snow? I didn't know there were any waterfalls up there unless I hadn't hiked it enough. I had heard it went to the Blue Hole, but I haven't been able to make it that far. The farthest I've been is at one point the trail heads straight up the cliffs and you walk over some bridges. You get to the top and there's a nice view of the North Chick Gorge. I hiked about another half mile after that, heard some strange noises in the woods and turned back. But it is one of my goals to do the entire thing.

9:24 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

What kind of strange noises?

9:50 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I'm not sure. I still haven't been able to figure it out to this day. There was about three or four of some type of animals calling to each other on top of a ridgeline. Could have been turkey, could have been some bucks snorting or it could have been pig.

I usually can tell the difference, but these just sounded strange. Maybe it was the Cumberland Sasquatch.

All I know, is I didn't want to stick around to figure out if it was wild pig.

Looks like we are pretty much in agreement on Fiery Gizzard. So I say lets go with that.

Just throwing out a date, but how about Saturday, Feb. 12?

11:14 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I will have to check on the date, but I imagine that will probably work. I don't know if it is a factor for anyone, but that is Valentine's Day weekend.

Fiery G sounds great, though I think maybe we should set a secondary location just in case Trout's knee is acting up. Southeast, would you be cool with setting Savage Gulf N Rim as a fall-back option?

11:25 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

My wife always talks about West Virginia and she tells me that when she was a little girl they had to walk long distances to visit relatives up the hollow. She tells of hearing black panther's, (mountain lions aka cougars I suspect) calling and it is supposed to sound like a child screamming. She had a very hard childhood growing up very poor, living back on the mountain. She took me up one of those hollow's last year when I went to a Bamboo rod building show. Using rain water to wash her hair, not much food, just a hard Appalachian life, like the ones you read about. Now we are wanting to move back, go figure. We are also thinking about the area around Boone, NC. But I am worried that it may still be hot there in the summer.

12:48 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Rocklion,

I think it was early fall a few years back.

Gonzan,

I like the sound of that we will plan for Fiery Gizzard with a backup plan of the N rim. Feb should be fine with me though I do agree that we might want to consider a different date than Valentine's Day weekend.

Oh, I just remembered I actually can't ask off for time from mid Jan to early Mar., would anyone be apposed to doing the hike on a Sunday?

12:52 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Mike> Where do you all live now? I read somewhere that Boone's climate is the most similar to the Northeast's climate in the Southeast. I have friends who live up there and say the wind up in the mountains keeps down it being hot.

And I'm very familiar with the kind of life you're talking about. It's the kind of life my family grew up in. Not me personally, but my parents were just poor old mountain folk. My dad went into the Army and left it all behind.

5:46 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Rocklion, I live just outside Florence S.C., not too far from Trouthunter. I was thinking Trout, maybe if you would be interested, I could go along with you and split the cost. I think it is a 5 or 6 hour drive to TN. Just a thought, since this is a day hike and not an overnight. My knee is a lot better, but not completely healed.

6:05 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Cool shot Southeast. What time of the year did you go? One reason I like hiking in winter is because of the views. No leaves equal being able to see more. Still may be no good views though.

Trout> Are you talking about North Chick Pocket or Laurel-Snow? I didn't know there were any waterfalls up there unless I hadn't hiked it enough. I had heard it went to the Blue Hole, but I haven't been able to make it that far. The farthest I've been is at one point the trail heads straight up the cliffs and you walk over some bridges. You get to the top and there's a nice view of the North Chick Gorge. I hiked about another half mile after that, heard some strange noises in the woods and turned back. But it is one of my goals to do the entire thing.

Yeah, very cool photo Southeasthiker! I'm fine with hiking on Sunday.

Rocklion, I was talking about North Chickamauga Creek Pocket Wilderness (Soddy Daisy / Montlake Rd.), or whatever they call it now. By bridges are you talking about this area?:

2813672461_b47606bc33stepupNCCPW_m.jpg

2813675093_f62e9e1901stepupNCCPW_m.jpg
We used to call it the "Step Up" it led you up a steep bluff to an old mining road that led to the three coal mines. The first waterfall is past the coal mines, the second waterfall is at the campsite. The coal mines are about halfway to the campsite. There are several big blue holes in the creek, at least one has a spur trail that leads to it, but that is less than halfway down the trail.

There was always a rumor of mountain lions in the Cumberland Escarpment area, I never saw one, or any tracks. However you couldn't pay me enough to go into any of the old abandoned coal mines in the area, no way.

9:49 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Holy crap. When was that taken? I swear those steps don't look near as good now. Those look practically brand new. Was there the one wooden plank crossing the crevace when you went up there.

I guess I haven't gone far enough yet. Now you've got me wanting to hit North Chick again. Don't know why I called them bridges. I mean its mostly stairs, but it's just the one wooden plank that always comes to mind. I think mostly because I had spent most of my life hiking in the Smokies and when I came down this ways and saw that plank or log, I was like WTF? Never had seen anything like it. But then again I call the Smokies trails the interestate compared to some of the trails down here.

Anyway, Sunday, Feb. 13? That fine with everyone?

1:07 a.m. on December 2, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

That sounds good to me.

11:14 a.m. on December 2, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I just double checked with me misus' and Sunday Feb 13th sounds good. 

6:42 p.m. on December 2, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Rocklion said,                                                                                "Holy crap. When was that taken? I swear those steps don't look near as good now. Those look practically brand new. Was there the one wooden plank crossing the crevace when you went up there."          

Those photos were from 91' or 92', and the photo of my dog in an earlier post was about 98'.

You are right, there was a single 2x12 (?) wooden plank that you walked across, I don't remember exactly where. There is also a steel cable you have to use to cross the top of the first waterfall where you are only 20' (?) feet from the edge. I think I have a photo of that somewhere too.

Yep, here is my son Mike & his friend Joey on a dayhike with me and Joey's dad Tim, my son is the one on the right. They are holding the steel cable:

2814524668_ef9ceaf977_m.jpg

Sunday Feb. 13 is fine with me as well.                                        

5:02 p.m. on December 3, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Well, it sounds like weve got a basic plan!

When:  Sunday, February 13th

Where: Fiery Gizzard (with a backup of Savage Gulf N Rim)

Who:  Trout, Southeast, Rocklion, Gonzan....

So I guess between now and then we will need to define:

>Where we are meeting

>What time we are Need to be at the trailhead

>What route we will take

>what time we plan to be out

>Etc?

5:35 p.m. on December 3, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Sounds like a plan to me. We can get nitty gritty with the details later.

6:04 p.m. on December 26, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I have hiked Fiery Gizzard twice. I have hiked from the Tracy City end up to Ravens Point and back across the rim (dog hole trail ?) and back off into the gorge to reconnect with the main trail...then double back for a mile or so (i think) back to the parking lot. Makes a good loop.  Some nice scenery down in the gorge....and the only bad part of the hike is the "boulder field" that everyone talks about. It was tough for me, both times i hiked it, to just stay on the trail in those rocks. I have wanted to hike from the Tracy City end to the Foster Falls end (about 12 miles I think) but would have to have the spouse drop me off on one end and pick me up on the other...so i haven't done that yet. You guys going to do the loop up to Ravens Point and back from Tracy City end?... or hike out from Foster Falls end and double back?....or hike the whole thing one end to the other? I would like to hike it again...and maybe tag along if you guys don't have a problem with it? Would be nice to meet some from the area also.

4:45 p.m. on December 27, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Welcome BEERSHEBA, is that as in Beersheba Springs?

I'm sure we could make room for one more, I'm looking forward to meeting some people in the area as well. I used to live near Chattanooga but now live in SC, most people here don't want to travel that far to hike so I end up doing mostly solos.

We haven't discussed the route we want to take as of yet, but that's a very good question.

If we do a through hike we will have to shuttle a vehicle to the other trailhead, or we could do a loop. Personally I'm fine with shuttling and hiking straight through.

I was thinking that the Fruit Bowl (boulder field) was at one end of the trail, but not according to the topo. I seem to remember going around it on another trail the second time I hiked the FGT.

I plan on studying the topo this coming week because although I have hiked the trail twice it's been a long time, '1998 I believe.

9:43 a.m. on December 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I was thinking about this last week and was thinking that we'd probably want to go the shuttle route.

I'll take a look at my map, but I'm kind of counting on Trout to tell us the best way since he's hiked it before.

The only way in and out I know about is around Tracy City. I don't know how to get over to Raven's Point, although I'm sure its not that complicated. Probably just a long drive.

I say here in a few weeks lets get each other's emails and then we can share each other's cell numbers so we know how to get in contact with each other.

Trout, you going to need a place to hole up the night before the hike? I might be able to let you stay down in my basement. Going to take some convincing the wife, though, to let a strange man she's never met before stay in the house.

10:12 a.m. on December 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

fierygizzard.jpg
I'm pretty sure you can bypass the "boulder field", about a mile from the Tracy City end, by taking the Dog Hole Trail up to the rim...then its the rim all the way to Ravens Point and then on to the end at Foster Falls. picture of Ravens Point taken 01/02/02.

10:28 a.m. on December 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Hope it doesn't happen to snow that weekend. Will make things even more interesting.

May also want to talk of a contingency plan in case that happens.

2:06 p.m. on December 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Welcome, Beersheba!

I wouldn't mind having another along, right now we've got the four of us plus you. In my experience, 2-8 people of capable fitness makes a good hiking group. Larger than that and progress starts to get impeded exponentially.

I think I would like to do a shuttle and hike through rather than a loop. I haven't studied the topo much, but I was guessing starting on the north end would make for an agragate decent rather than the inverse.

Trout-

I haven't checked with the wife, but I am pretty sure you would be welcome to stay in our guest room if you need a place to stay for a night or two. I will check with her and let you know.

6:00 p.m. on December 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

fierygizzard.jpg
I'm pretty sure you can bypass the "boulder field", about a mile from the Tracy City end, by taking the Dog Hole Trail up to the rim...then its the rim all the way to Ravens Point and then on to the end at Foster Falls. picture of Ravens Point taken 01/02/02.

Nice shot of Ravens Point, the view is almost due South according to the map I have. You are right about the Dog Hole Trail, the map shows it climbing out of the gorge and up on the Eastern Rim bypassing the boulder field and going to Ravens Point.

6:33 p.m. on December 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Gonzan & Rocklion,

Thanks for the offer to let me stay a night but my wife Susan and I will also be visiting relatives and we already made plans with them.

I'm fine with starting at the North end (Tracy City / Grundy Forrest) and hiking South to Foster Falls, the southern trailhead.

It looks like you can do a shuttle by using Hwy. 150 / 41.

How about just a little snow?

4:55 a.m. on December 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Trouthunter said:

Welcome BEERSHEBA, is that as in Beersheba Springs?

Yep, I live in Beersheba Springs or as we locals call it "Burshba". I'm just a few miles from Stone Door/Savage Gulf.

8:03 a.m. on December 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I'm all about a little snow.

Good you all are staying with relatives. If it gets too icy to get up there then it makes me feel better about you heading up this ways. Can spend time with them if its too, too icy. If its just icy up toward the mountains but the roads down around here are still passable, we could always still hit up North Chickamauga or somewhere close. Beersheeba and Southeast might not be able to make it.

But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Oh, wait, just dawned on me. North Chick might not be good. Remember us talking about the "step up" on North Chick Trout? All those steps burned up in a fire a few months ago. There was a big wildfire that burnt up a lot of the forest in that area. They are going to replace them, but I don't know if they've been replaced yet. I'll have to look into that.

Anyway, that's just a contingency in case we can't get up the mountain.

9:56 a.m. on December 29, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am definitely in for a bit of snow! I have been loving the 6+ inches we got on Signal over Christmas.

I am cool with it if others want to go around the fruit bowl, but being that I've never been there, I would kinda like to see it. I suppose if there was a split opinion on it, some of us could go each route, and meet back up on top, as they only diverge for a section of the way.

If things happen to be too icy to head out too Fiery G. and The steps are out in North Chick, there's always Laurel Snow a short ways off as well. But we'll just have to see what things are like when that week rolls around.

10:22 a.m. on December 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I kind of want to see it as well.

5:38 p.m. on December 29, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

The steps burned up on N Chick huh? That's a shame.

The gorge & fruit bowl section of Fiery Gizzard is certainly memorable, I'm glad I did it that way at least once.

9:11 a.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I just got the USGS Quad (White City) for Fiery Gizzard in the mail yesterday, it sure is easier to read than the little map my printer spits out.

If you guys want to do the gorge section and traverse the boulders I'll do that section too, I wouldn't mind taking some photos of us in the gorge.

I keep seeing distances of 13 to 17 miles for this trail depending on where I look, according to the South Cumberland Recreation Area map, the trail is 12.5 miles.

10:04 a.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

The gorge songs good to me.

10:12 a.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I caint spale good...I ment "sounds good to me". Best i remember, the gorge had some nice scenery...i thought it was kind of unique for the area.

9:39 p.m. on January 5, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

So...is everyone in for the gorge segment then?

12:09 a.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

All in favor, say "Aye."

"Aye" - Gonzan

1:31 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Aye

6:20 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Aye

11:26 a.m. on January 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Aye

11:33 a.m. on January 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Guess we need to start talking about what time we are meeting, where at, etc.

Guess we could possibly meet at Greenlife, for those of us who live near Chattanooga and then head up there. I'm not exactly sure how to get there or the best route to take. 

Do we need to take all our cars? Just thought of that. We were talking about shuttling from one trailhead to the other. Depending upon what everyone drives, we might not have enough room in one vehicle for five people and equipment. May have to leave two cars at one place, two cars at the other.

I've got a Montero SUV. I could perhaps get everyone in it, plus the equipment. Could be a tight fit.

2:38 p.m. on January 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I have a Jetta, so not much room there, but I might be able to borrow a friend's old suburban. I am happy to drive regardless.

As far as driving route, I haven't been there before, but it would seem that the following would work well: Drive up US41 and leave vehicle(s) at the lower trailhead at Foster Falls, then continue on to Grundy Forest Trailhead south of Tracy City. At the end of the day, we drive back up from Foster Falls to retrieve car(s), continuing on out to I-24 at Monteagle, and then back to our original meetup location.

Greenlife works fine for me.

6:31 p.m. on January 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I can drive the ol' grand cherokee....it'll hold 5 people (or 6 or 7 if you really like each other). I can meet everybody at Foster Falls and haul some or all to the Tracy City end of the trail.......

8:23 a.m. on January 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Okay. I can comfortably put four people in my Montero. Since we're day hiking and not backpacking, I could probably fit all the gear in the back.

8:04 p.m. on January 8, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I like the driving route suggested by Gonzan, I believe that's the same way I did it before.  I will be driving a single cab truck, I could haul two hikers and gear if needed (or all the gear), but riding in one vehicle to the Grundy Forest trailhead would be nice if possible.

As far as gear goes I will be bringing a small pack and trekking poles.

How does everyone feel about taking a break about halfway for a meal?

I like to snack as I hike, but on longer hikes I can really use an MRE or other quick meal to really fuel up.

3:03 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Well I've got my daypack and trekking poles. I think I could fit everyone in my Montero. I'll drive and Gonzan can navigate. I know generally how to get up there. Heck, I'll have plenty of time to look it up anyways.

I was planning on a break for lunch. Someone told me there was a Hardees midway through? Was going to grab a Big Gulp. Just kidding.

But I was thinking we could perhaps kill a wild hog and roast it over a fire.

1:06 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

just wanted to tell you guy's a little envious of where your going!! See the pic's and can't wait for your trail report and Group photo...Looks like a good time for all of you...

5:05 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Thanks Dennis.

I have a snowshoe trip planned this weekend in the Smokies.

We just got hit with about eight inches of snow today, so my snowshoeing trip just got a little more exciting. I know Leconte has about three feet of snow.

Should be plenty exciting.

1:26 p.m. on January 12, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I think stopping midway for lunch would be a great idea. Especially if it is really cold, and judging from the weather trend this season it might just be a tad nippy.

Unless three to a bench seat is to close for comfort, it sounds like we could manage with just Rocklion's Montero and Beersheba's Jeep. If the four of us Chatt boys met Beersheba at Foster falls, we could just leave one vehicle there, and then head on up to Grundy Forest in the other. Rinse and Repeat.

I will probably use my full size pack, just to make the long haul more comfortable, but with it only partly loaded it wont take up much room. I will also have my hiking staff, which can slide in just about anywhere.  

9:43 p.m. on January 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Yea,

Everything sounds good to me, sorry I haven't posted in a while I just started a new job and I have been a little busy. That said with the new job I am off Sat and Sun so if anyone would prefer Sat I am ok with that.

Also how many miles will we be hiking? So I can know how much food/water to bring. In general I will be bringing a large day pack and some poles.

4:51 a.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I plan on being at Foster Falls with the jeep at whatever time it is we decide to meet. As far as saturday or sunday,.... saturday works best for me and is my preference but i can do sunday also.

7:58 a.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

sorry to bust in but, its looking like my jan 22nd cades cove hike is not going to happen due to snow. We're working on a plan B. We were thinking somewhere around here http://cumberlandtrail.org/tn_river_gorge.html but i kinda feel like i might be short changing myself when comparing to cades cove. Any one hiked this area or is there any overnight hiking in the chattanooga area?

3:08 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Omatty, is "jptrain" the friend  you mention? I noticed you both were looking for almost exactly the same info, so I replied over there. I suggest we bump responses to these inquiries over to that thread to avoid making this one any longer that it already will be :) 

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-planning/topics/83405.html

3:26 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I think the trail is about 12 miles, end to end.

Which brings up a good question: What time do we want to be on the trail? That will determine what time we need to meet Beersheeba at the trailhead, and what time we other four need to meet at Greenlife.

I think as early as everyone is willing or able to meet would be the way to go. Sunrise to sunset will only be 10 3/4 hrs.

Sunday or Saturday make no realy difference to me.

4:01 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

yes sir, he didn't see that i had posted already

5:44 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Totally agree Gonzan, the earlier the better. Depending on the difficulty of the trail 12 miles could take up all our daylight, I guess I will be bringing my Spot headlamp just in case haha.    

7:48 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Where is Greenlife, I'm not familiar with it?

It may be quicker for me to meet everyone at the Foster Falls trailhead, just depends on which relatives my wife and I visit first when we get into town.

I can hike on Saturday if everyone else wants to, that's fine with me.

I can also be ready to go very early, as early as 5:30 am since I'm used to getting up early.

I think everyone ought to bring at least one light and more than enough warm clothes. We will be finishing the hike up on the plateau so we should have light a little longer than being down in the gorge, but as Gonzan points out the days are short and we would have to average more than a mile per hour to avoid hiking in the dark. 

At least bring a glow stick to help the S&R team :)

4:42 a.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I get up at 2:30 cst and am at work at 4:00 so a early start is not a problem for me.

7:45 a.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I can be up whatever time. I'm a morning person. It's about an hour and a half drive up there. We've got to include time getting up there and time shuttling.

Greenlife is very easy to find. It's right off Manufacturers Road. If you head south on 27 or north, depending upon where your relatives are, you get off on the Manufacturers Road exit, take a right and you'll see a new shopping complex called One North Shore.

I'm still inclined to meet up at Greenlife because honestly I am not completely sure how to get there and it would help me having some guidance driving in the dark. We could still meet you up there if Gonzan and Southeast wants to meet me at Greenlife.

I was thinking we might even want to leave a little earlier, say 5 because of all the driving and shuffling we'll need to do.

We do go back an hour going over there, but at the same time I'm not as concerned about the time as I am the sun. Would rather get to the trailhead and wait a bit than be behind.

I agree, we are going to be pushed for time. Definitely bring a head lamp.

10:48 a.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am fine meeting up anywhere along the way- for some reason I thought Greenlife had been set- Coulda' gone back and checked, but i was lazy :)

Another mile up 27 on Signal Mountain Rd there is a huge Walmart Parking lot as well.

Other that those two places, there really isn't much of a good spot to meet and leave cars except off one of the I-24 exits.  For that matter, if it works best, we could do a multiple point meetup: Greenlife, somwhere on I-24, and then at Foster Falls.

Driving straight from Greenlife to Grundy forest should only take less than an hour, driving the speed limit. So I would think 1 1/2 hrs for driving, meeting at foster falls, and getting to the trailhead should be adequate. Sunrise is at 7:30am EST. My vote would be for the initial meetup to be at greenlife at 5:30am EST. That will give us 2hrs-  an hour for driving, and another hour for shuffle- to get to Grundy Forest and on the trail before sunrise. As long as we keep a 1.5 to 2 MPH average walking rate, we should get to Foster Falls well before dark.

As with any dayhike, I will be bringing what I need to spend a night out in the cold in a pinch.

I was thinking I would bring an Alchohol stove and a pot to quickly whip up some Mountain House Buffalo Chicken Wraps with cheese & Tomato. That would make quite a welcome meal on a cold day. Any one want to jump on that chuckwagon as well?

11:56 a.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I'd forgotten about the Walmart. That actually might be less confusing. The Greenlife parking lot is a maze. I vote for Walmart.

Cooking something up doesn't sound bad at all.

6:15 p.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Just to make sure your talking about the Wal-Mart by Baylor right? Yea I guess 5 30 would be ok, I guess I can sleep in on Sunday haha.

Gonzan are bringing enough Buffalo Chicken Wraps for all of us or am I going to have to bring my own : )

9:37 a.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Yep, The one by Baylor is the one I was thinking of.

I will plan to bring my stove and cookset, and cook up the wraps for as many as want to do that for lunch- my only stipulation is that the cost is shared.  If multiple people want to do the wraps I can pick  up the food and we can split the cost, if that sounds agreable.

So does everyone want to move it to Saturday? I don't care one way or another, as saturday works just a well for me.

1:50 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

We had already decided on Sunday, so I think we need to get Trout's impression of that before just suddenly moving it. He is the one driving up here from SC.

I have no problem with sharing the costs.

6:40 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

By Me from above,

"I can hike on Saturday if everyone else wants to, that's fine with me."

Rocklion, Yeah...it's cool with me to go on Saturday, I should be in town by Thursday evening.

Gonzan, I'm on kind of a bland diet, so I'm out on the Buffalo Chicken Wraps, but I would like to see how you make them.

SouthEastHiker, I plan to sleep in on Sunday for sure.

9:47 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Sorry. Missed that. This thing is getting so long.

Okay. Saturday then. That'll be good. Get a day of rest before work.

4:54 a.m. on January 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Saturday sounds good and the chicken wraps sound good too. Be glad to share costs of lunch...and any cooking fees.

11:50 a.m. on January 18, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Be glad to share costs of lunch...and any cooking fees.

Haha! No cooking fees here :)

Alright then, so I will bring enough mountain house (or other) buffalo chicken for four of us.

The wraps will consist of:

>Rehydrated buffalo chicken <>Tomato <>Ranch or sour cream <>Tortilla wraps

I will also bring some instant cider to go along with the wraps. When I've picked up the food I will post the total cost and we can split it up.

3:53 p.m. on February 2, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Week and a half away. Everyone getting excited?

Should we share cell phone numbers or anything in case of emergency. You can email me at rocklion2000@gmail.com and I will be glad to share mine.

4:43 p.m. on February 2, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am certainly looking forward to it!

I think having the cell numbers of the group would be a good idea, in case someone is running late, needs directions, etc. I will be happy to share mine with the group:

TCG@ThomasCalebGoggans.com

Aproximate cost for the Wraps should be $5.50/person

5:54 p.m. on February 2, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Hey,

jwilli19@leeu.edu

6:13 p.m. on February 2, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I always get excited, like a little kid heading off into the woods to construct a fort on a Saturday morning.

My Email address is: mike@mikescampinshed.com

Note that it's campin, not camping, there is no P.

I will send everyone my phone number by Email.

I'm pretty sure I will be staying in the Monteagle area my first two nights of my trip, which means I can meet you guys at the Foster Falls Trailhead and ride up to the Grundy Forest Trailhead with everyone else provided there is room for everyone in the same vehicle, if not I can meet you at the Grundy Forest trailhead.

8:21 p.m. on February 2, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Looks like there is a "P" to me, i will be sure to leave of the "G" though ;)

10:03 a.m. on February 3, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

My email is: mfgdesigner@yahoo.com

6:09 p.m. on February 3, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Looks like there is a "P" to me, i will be sure to leave of the "G" though ;)

Haha....I need to slow down. Yes you are correct it is missing the G.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply