2010 snow in Yosemite?

3:33 p.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Anyone know if there's enough snow yet in Yosemite for snowshoeing?  I know there's now at the higher elevations (went snowshoeing yesterday in the Mt Rose area north of Tahoe) but how about in parts of Yosemite we can drive to?

There's been quite a bit of snow at the higher elevations over the past week, and I heard there was a foot last week in Yosemite Valley, but not sure about areas like Badger Pass etc.

I feel kind of stupid asking, because this info should be available somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet that's up to date.  The YNP info page doesn't have anything other than Badger Pass ski info, and that's not open yet... (I'm guessing they probably have a pre-defined opening date that doesn't necessarily correspond to current conditions).

8:26 p.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts
10:47 p.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Thanks Gary.  I'd seen most of those (except yosemitehikes.com) and unfortuantely none of them provide current snow conditions.  :|

11:09 p.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

Today I was at around 4500' below Kings Canyon NP, and there was over a foot of snow on the ground and more coming down.  There should be a decent amount at elevaton in Yosemite.

For the best up-to-the-minute data, go to the snow survey page for the remote sensors:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PAGE6

This shows the most recent complete report, but it could be a week old.  On the upper left, click on Real Time Data, and enter the three-letter code for the station closest to your destination.  You can see things like snow depth, snow water content, temp, etc.  Sometimes the snow depth doesn't seem right, but the snow water content is usually accurate (derived from weight of the snow exerting pressure on a bladder of antifreeze under a steel plate).  As of 5PM tonight, a few of the stations in Yosemite are reporting this:

Station                        Snow water content, inches   Snow depth, inches

Dana Meadows           6.9                                          30

Tenaya Lake               4.1                                          41.9

Tuolumne Meadows    4.1                                          28.2

Ostrander Lake          7.1                                           36.1

White Wolf                 5.6                                           33.2

5:49 a.m. on November 28, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Lambertiana's link is about as good as it gets for up to date reporting.  The site has great tools, but it may take some effort learning how to access data relevant to a specific trip, and learning how to interpret the raw data.  Check out other sections of this site, it is a great logistics tool for planning California trips where weather forecasts are crucial. 

Ed

1:00 p.m. on November 28, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Lambertiana and Whomeworry, thanks for the info.  That site looks promising.  And the snow report from Kings Canyon sounds good too.

I also found this site, for anyone interested in the Lake Tahoe area where I went on Friday.

http://sierraavalanchecenter.org/

If you click on the colored areas in the map, the list temperature, snowfall, and snow accumulation, avalanche info, etc.

Where I went, at Tamarack Peak near Mt. Rose, the snow depth seemed a little less than in the report. It seemed to vary from as little as a foot (in sheltered treed areas) to probably 4 feet or more.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply