6-8 Weeks in Peru

12:23 p.m. on December 3, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I'm looking to go to Peru for 6-8 weeks, probably May-August sometime in Summer 2012. 

I've looked at doing to following hikes there:

-Ausangate 

- Valley of the Volcanos

-Salcantay to Machu Picchu (Which I have read is a less crowed, cheaper and better alternative to the Inca Trail)

I'm looking at doing some other stuff besides hiking, and possibly some other hikes, or even going to other South America countries near by since I will be close. 

Right now planning stages are in their infancy, and I am just looking for general advice from people who've been there or know anything about the area. What can I expect when I get there? What should I know? Any recommendations? etc. 

12:18 a.m. on December 4, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

If you will be vacating a base camp for several days while on a side trip, consider hiring a sitter to guard your stuff so it doesn't get stolen.

Ed

8:52 a.m. on December 5, 2010 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I sugest looking into Cordilla Blanca and maybe even Colca Canyon -my wife and I hiked both of these, and had a great time while in Peru.

6:01 p.m. on December 5, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the tips. 

I'll probably be keeping all my stuff with me for the most part on my back, or perhaps a day here or there I might spend a night in a more reputable hotel where I can store it. 

Cordilla Blanca and Colca canyon look amazing! I will check them out for sure.

Does anyone know what kind of outdoor stores they have in Peru or where I can get some food such as Backpackers pantry etc. I usually take that stuff from home, but it is not cost effective to take all my freeze dried food with me from Canada. 

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply