Mt Chocorua

10:40 p.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I'll be doing a hike up Chocorua this Saturday for the first time, taking the Champney falls trail up. Anyone have any recommendations or advice who has done this before?

I have the AMC guidebook and have looked at several "guide" websites as well - I never go somewhere unprepared, so I'm just looking for as much info as possible.

Thanks!

10:48 p.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Ohhh I used to live right near there :).  I spent several years in the Conways, then ended up in Chocorua for a bit before leaving to go to school in Keene.

Sorry this isn't what you asked, but you triggered those memories :).  And I've never been up there (Mt Chocorua) in the winter, just a couple times many (many) years ago in the summer.

As I vaguely recall, it's pretty exposed & rocky near the summit, so in the winter I'd be prepared for harsh conditions.

Have a great hike & let us know how it goes!

9:17 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

thanks hopefully it goes well. Still waiting on my buddy to reply about going - not sure if I'm up for soloing it, could be a stormy weekend.

Anyone else with any info?

4:08 p.m. on December 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Chocura is arguably the most photographed Mountain in the world. Its awesome, but I'd go in fall personally.

10:21 a.m. on December 20, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

iClimb,

I hope your friend comes through for you.

Knowing your desire to expand your mountaineering experience, I am sure it would be tempting to go even if your friend bails on you. Having been reading mountaineering accident reports of late, we'd hate to find you in the next one ;)

9:47 p.m. on December 20, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

a quick update about the trip - we ended up going and I'll provide a trip report when I have more time. It was a perfect day. Absolutely no wind, cold but warm in the sun, and some amazing scenery and hiking/climbing.

I'll give some pics in the report too.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply