About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Mt Washington

7:31 p.m. on December 26, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

Hello all, 

My Mt Washington February climb is coming right up, and I had some ideas to bounce off you for those who have climbed it, especially in winter (hint hint Alicia).

I know that the Lion's Head winter route is the most commonly climbed route in winter. I'm wondering what trails those of you have done in winter, and what details you can give me. I always seek out as much info as I can about a hike or climb before I do it.

Also, I know that in late winter, Feb and March, there is likely to be feet and feet of snow, and it will likely cover the carrins (sp?) that mark the trail ahead. Because of that, I was wondering what you thought of climbing the auto road instead, since the cat goes up there almost daily, it will be easy to follow those tracks unless there is a white out storm. Also, with the auto road being well packed by the cat on a regular basis, I'd be happier about the terrain. Is the road do-able or advised?

Thanks in advance!

11:19 p.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

bump.

12:08 a.m. on January 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

How can you bump up a message that's the only one in a thread <grin>.

But seriously, I wish I had something useful to offer.  I've hiked the various trails on Mt Washington, and walked on (sometimes long) sections of the Auto Road.  While I enjoy the views from the Auto Road, I have to say that's my least favorite section to hike.  But at least in the winter you wouldn't have to deal with the steady vehicular traffic & the smell of burning brakes (though you could get run over by a snowcat going to/from the Observatory :).

On the down side, it's long ... 8 miles... compared to about 4-ish for most of the trails.  But the grade is moderate, and steady... Hmmm...

Hopefully someone who's been up there in the winter can chip in...

Whatever you decide to do, I look forward to reading about it and seeing the pics :).

10:30 a.m. on January 16, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

thanks bheiser - you did help actually - I'd rather not double the length of my trip by taking the auto road. I'm heading up there this weekend to do some recon, but sounds like I'll be doing lions head winter route.

9:40 p.m. on January 16, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,918 forum posts

Sorry I didn't help you out earlier, iClimb, but I would agree with you doing the Lions Head route for your first winter ascent.

I could be wrong, but for some reason I don't think you're allowed to walk up the auto road anyway. I had friends walk down it, after having some crampon issues up top, and it was not very enjoyable versus hiking back down the trail.

Regardless, I'd do Lions Head, much more fun and interesting.

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply