Alone in Arkansas?

12:45 p.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

after spending the good part of a year to get all that i needed to start backpacking, i've realized that i can't find many readily accessible trails in Arkansas. Does anyone know or have in mind anything that is easy acces or close to an hours drive from NW Arkansas. Im looking for a week-end trail or something that is atleast 16+ miles but that also has some nice sites to explore while i rest.

3:22 p.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

You couldn't find any readily accessible trails in NW Arkansas?  You must not have been looking very hard!  Closest, and possibly the prettiest with some of the most scenic views and tons to explore is the Buffalo River area , but the best, is the Ozark Highlands Trail. It currently spans roughly 165 miles starting by Fort Smith, but there are plans to connect it to the Ozark Trail in MO, giving a nearly 1000 hikable miles.  Plus there's the Mark Twain National Forest just across the state line in Missouri. 
You're in one of the hidden gems of the outdoor community.  Growing up in the area I frequently commented on the amount of amazing sandstone climbing in the area, but it wasn't until Horseshoe Canyon opened and a couple of famous climbers started visiting that it started receiving national attention.  The quality tailwater fly fishing in the area is considered some of the finest in the United States.  Mt. Bike trails are going up by the mile every year and X-Terra has one of their quality outdoor triathlons every year at Lake Leatherwood outside of Eureka Springs. 
Good luck, there's certainly plenty to do out there!

5:30 p.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Hey Noobie- Arkansas Nice! So your just starting. have all your 10 essentials. Great!! Here is some things to Look at Buffalo River Trail.

You have the Ozark highlands trail that has 215 miles of trail,So you have plenty to keep you busy. You can get a guide book wich is what most of us do for your state and it will break it down to area's of the state your in. Also you Have the Ozarka trail Association. but I also reccomend going to maybe a local outfitter as well in your area. Because they will have alot of information. IE handouts from clubs or schools  maps as well as personel experiance of the area. But I hope I gave you some options here.

5:30 p.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

I absolutely love the buffalo river and ozark area in general. I grew up in MS and spent many a summer vacations wandering about the ozarks.

Combine some off trail hiking along the many wonderful rivers and streams in the ozarks with some fly fishing and those are the finest memories of the outdoors I have.

You are definetly in one of the best areas in my opinion, I would love to be back there.

12:46 a.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace,

Try this website about hiking in Arkansas.

If you have internet access there is a vast amount of info out there for us hikers, backpackers, paddlers, etc.

You probably also have hiking clubs in the area, like this one in Fort Smith

You would be amazed at how much information and organization is actually out there, you just have to search around some.

Happy hiking.

11:26 a.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Thanks for all the info. i have actually came back from pigeon roost and did all 8 miles last night. i've heard buffalo is nice along with a couple other trails that are a little more advanced. by chance, do any of you know if there is a hiking trail going down kings rives?

12:48 p.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

I just read a trip report on the River falls area. Here the site. www.summitpost.org/kings-River-falls/253294. from what I gathered its a nice day hike but a good one for the area. keep at it and good luck and drop some pic's and trip reports.

2:13 p.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Not that I remember.  Most of the land along the river is private property, however the river is open to public use.  I used to walk and wade that river growing up, fishing for small mouth bass. 

1:45 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

A little late here but check out http://www.backpackingarkansas.com

Great site with lots of info on both the Ozarks and the Ouachitas and everything in-between!

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply