John Muir Trail segment question-

2:46 p.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
183 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

Due to time constraints, I am taking a buddy on a partial JMT run. Tentative dates are mid/end of June 2011.

He will be coming down from Nor-Cal (Humbolt), and I will be driving up from So-Cal (Santa Barbara), so we will have 2 trucks in the mix.

Plan- Start at Yosemite trailhead and hike 30-50 miles (depends) to a point where we can go off the trail and get into one of the vehicles, then drive back to Yosemite, and head back to our respective homes.

Need to get a solid on where to park the vehicles, and at what point do we have reasonable access to get to the other vehicle (Red's Meadow?). We have 4-5 days to play around with. We are experienced hikers, and pack moderate loads, 35-40 pounds or so for 3-4 days.

Basically, we need the vehicle access info, and any parking considerations for a 2 vehicle "point to point" JMT segment hike. We would prefer to start from the Yosemite end, but we are open to suggestions!

Thanks, Andrew B.

5:28 p.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

35-40 lbs for 3-4 days? I usually pack about 20 for that. If you are going together, take one tent, one stove, one cookpot, share food weight and equipment weight.

My backpacking gear weighs less than 12 lbs without the water. And about 2 lbs a day for food.

In June at high elevations there should be plenty of water and some snow left.

I know nothing about cars or where to park them.

11:34 p.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

It's pretty close to 50 miles from Yosemite Valley to Agnew Meadows/Red Meadow.  You should be able to find long term parking in Yosemite Valley (call the park to confirm) as well as parking at Mammoth.  Take the shuttle from Agnew/Reds Meadow to Mammoth.

Mid to late June will mean a lot of snow.  This has the makings of a heavy snow year - as of yesterday's snow sensor report, the high country snow sensors in the Yosemite to Mammoth region are reporting 75-80% of normal April 1 snowpack.  Since the heaviest snowfall usually comes in February and March, I would expect above average snow pack this year.  So Donohue Pass will be all snow in mid to late June, and a good part of the rest of the route may be, too (from Donohue pass, over Island Pass, and at least partway down to Reds Meadow).  Stream crossings will be interesting.  And with a lot of snow, those 50 miles will be challenging to do in 4-5 days.

There is even more snow right now in the southern Sierra, many of the sensors in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area are already at or above average April 1 snowpack levels.

1:13 a.m. on January 5, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I would agree with Lamertiana that June will most likely be too early for Donohue Pass and the area south of there. I did it last year and there was still a good bit of snow on the north side of Donohue Pass in the middle of July.  I would plan a hike between YV and Tuolumne Meadows. If you are just interested in following the JMT it would only take 2-3 days and leave you a couple free days to dayhike but if you are willing to also hike some of the many other trails available you could tailor the trip to fit just about any time frame.

In 2009 a group of us hiked from Tuolumne to the Valley floor and road the YARTS bus back to our cars, saved having to leave a car at the other end. Even if you hike all the way to Reds Meadow you can ride the bus back to your car or drop off the car and bus it to the trail head. I prefer having the car waiting for me when I'm finished with a hike.

We stretched our hike out to about 45mls and something like 8 days. We hike from Tuolumne to YV rather than have to make the climb up from the valley floor to LYV. It was also nice having Half Dome near the end, kind of a big finale. My trip report and pictures are posted here.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/59837.html#60617

2:51 p.m. on January 5, 2011 (EST)
183 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

Thanks for all the great info so far!

Last time I was in the area was a Kearsarge Pass resupply (JMT) for another buddy last year, so I am really excited about getting back into the area.

Let me run this info by him, and get back to this trip plan.

Andrew-

1:54 a.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I love the view from the top of Kearsarge Pass. This year our group plans to hike from Kearsarge to Whitney and out thru the Portal.

Looking west from Keararge Pass.

IMG_3068.jpg

10:58 a.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
183 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

Kearsarge pass is gorgeous!

Had to do a resupply run for a 5 man JMT crew (one was a buddy), and the "other" guy (their flake pal) tasked to go with me and help haul the food/fuel chickened out 2 days before the drop.

I packed all the gear up and over to the JMT drop-off point in a solo 24 hour in/out mission (had to back at work on Monday) It wasn't the hardest hike I had been on, but it sure sucked the last mile or so before cresting the pass!

I used my old US Army issue ALICE pack, because my fancy pants pack didn't carry the weight for crap, and I wanted the trusty external frame setup. Coming back out was a breeze, needless to say.

It was a great mini-adventure.

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply