About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

cades cove/appalacian trail

9:30 a.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

every jan me and a couple buddies head up to this area and hike up to spence field shelter and down the next day. it'll be on the 22nd this year. i got word that there's a ton of snow up there 32"+. anyone live around the area?

10:34 a.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,044 forum posts

Yeah they got snow. But if you would like to contact someone or check the AT Trail. Go to Whiteblaze.Net...Thats the AT website and you can contact local AT hikers in the Area... I know 3 guy's that started Jan ! thru came off Yesterday...

11:57 a.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

thanks, seems to be a good site.

12:15 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Me and two buddies are heading up to Spencefield from Cades Cove this weekend. I'll let you know how it is when I get back.

The snow reports say there is six inches of snow in Cades Cove right now and 28 inches of snow up on Mt. Leconte at 6400 feet. Newfound Gap is at 5,000 feet an the same elevation as Spencefield, but they don't have a report for it.

I'd venture that there is probably about 15 to 20 inches up there. It's supposed to be snowing in the higher elevations tonight and tomorrow night as well.

We are going up using snowshoes. If you don't have snowshoes or cross country skis, you might want to hold back.

12:16 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

My email is rocklion2000@gmail.com if you want to keep in contact. What route are you all going there by the way?

12:49 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,044 forum posts

i was hopeing One of you guy's would see that Rocklion and give him the heads up.... I am going to have to post closer to march because I am doing my thru  march 2. Going to need the weather then to get on my trek on it's way....

1:23 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

i'll keep in contact. we're going to head up Anthony creek tr to bote mnt trail, stay at spence field then head down russell. i talked to the ranger yesterday and he said that rangers where having to go up and bring people down..

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply