Sequoia/Kings Canyon in Feb....need advice

6:33 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Trying to plan a late feb backpacking trip to sequoia/kings canyon in late feb before i have to check-in to my new squadron.  I'm looking to go for 3-5 day range, around 8-10mi/day.  Going this time of the season i realize my options are short since the snow will be abundant and my cohorts and wife will be unable to handle nor have the gear to challenge these conditions.  What i've found so far is anything in the grant grove, middle fork, foothills area.  What i'm having a hard time doing is putting together a loop for a multi day trip, including some lakes, meadows, big trees, etc...I would love any and all advice, this will be my first time to sequoia, i did yosemite in college. thanks!

8:36 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

Not much is available in February unless you have snowshoes or skis.  Even the middle elevations have plenty of snow.  This picture was taken a week ago at Lodgepole, which is at 6700'. 

P1081180.jpg

This is what you would see at Giant Forest, Grant Grove, and Redwood Mountain Grove, which are about the same elevation.  The roads to Roads End, Mineral King, and Crescent Meadow are closed.

There isn't much back country in SEKI lower than that.  You could possibly do a trip up the Middle Fork Kaweah from Buckeye Flat, but you would eventually run into the snow from there, too.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply