Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, Arizona

11:34 a.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

vermilion-cliffs01.jpg

The 112,500-acre wilderness has towering walls streaked with desert varnish, huge red rock amphitheaters, sandstone arches, wooded terraces, and hanging gardens. The 38-mile Paria Canyon trail follows the river, and involves a lot of wading. Dispersed camping along the trail. Paria River subject to periodic and seasonal flash flooding.

GarySis_lg.jpg

Hiking in the Paria

Buckskin Gulch (main trailhead about 4.3 miles south of US 89) is a tributary canyon to the Paria, characterized by intermittent deep pools, which must be swam most of the year. This canyon is also subject to seasonal flash floods. The trail through Buckskin Gulch is about 16 miles long, although if you access it from the Wire Pass trailhead, it cuts the hike down to about 12 miles. Most of the canyon is between 3 to 15 feet wide. Group size limited to 10 people in Paria Canyon & Buckskin Gulch. 5 developed campsites at the White House Trailhead (2 miles south of US 89). Permits and reservations are required for day or overnight hiking anywhere in the wilderness.

Paria-Canyon-Wilderness.jpg

Buckskin Gulch

The Coyote Buttes area, with its colorfully striped formations of Navajo Sandstone has become an extremely popular hiking destination. The northern section, which contains the formation of white Navajo sandstone called the Wave, is accessible from Wire Pass trailhead (8.5 miles south of US 89), and the Wave is about a 3 mile hike cross country (hikers have created a rough trail to follow). The southern portion of Coyote Buttes is accessible only from 4WD jeep roads. Coyote Buttes is day use only and no groups larger than 6 allowed. Hikers are asked to wear lightweight shoes and not climb on or break thin outcroppings & other fragile formations

The_Wave_Paria_CanyonVermilion_Cliffs_Wi

The Wave section of the Coyote Buttes

Access is via US 89, which passes within 3 miles. US 89A skirts the base of the Vermilion Cliffs on the south, and the eastern part is accessed from Lee`s Ferry. Acceess to the west is on the House Rock/ Coyote Valley road

1:38 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Still debating on where to homestead next I see...May I suggest you look at the canyons, specifically Unaweep Canyon, of the Uncompahgre Plateau? Then again it may get a little bit cold for you out here Gary...I know you thrive in the warm desert sun...

2:56 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

Well I can dress for the cold, just prefer it not to have snow and ice, tho some of the plateaus have so little water, snow is often the only thing drinkable.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply