Maine Canoe / Backpack Trip

3:24 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Does anyone have suggestions for a summer canoe / backpack trip in Maine? A few of us (we are experienced backpackers and hunters) would like to canoe in Maine to a spot, set up a basecamp, and explore from there for about 4/5 days. We would like to be able to fish and eat what we catch. Anyone have suggestions or has anyone done this before? Thanks in advance.

8:33 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

my good friend does just this minus the canoeing up in baxter state park near katahdin. 

they fish and hike for a few days, eat what they catch if they want to, and to my knowledge you can canoe in the streams and rivers in that area, but there are lots of rapids in many areas if I remember correctly.

It's way up Nawth (mainer accent). I'm from portland, and it's probably 5-6 hours from here.

8:38 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

p.s. I would contact the officials in the park if you have other questions, but here is a helpful link about fishing in that area. It's very remote, and absolutely prime beautiful wilderness.

http://www.katahdinoutdoors.com/bsp/fishing.html

8:46 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

p.s.s.  

the best part about the park is that if you follow leave no trace rules, they allow bushwacking, meaning you can explore on your own accord.

talk about remote.

7:29 p.m. on February 14, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Awesome - I will check out the info you sent Iclinb - much appreciated. Actually, I was thinking of just backpacking in (and not canoeing) - will allow us to be much more flexible. Thanks again.

9:38 p.m. on February 14, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

bring bug nets :-)

1:21 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

The options are limitless, rivers, lakes, ponds and hiking trails are in the thousands.

So, go for some wilderness!

http://jackmanmaine.org/maine-canoe-trips.php

http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/sitePages/tripplanner.cfm?action=loadSection&sectionID=10

Google Flagstaff Lake:  The AT goes over the Bigelow Range that borders Flagstaff.  A trail covers the entire ridge.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2009/06/flagstaff-lake-near-rangeley-maine

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2278975930045831896lGqsfb

2:44 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thanks rambler - yeah, that's why we want to check out Maine - pristine wilderness. Most of where I have backpacked and hiked has been in NY, NJ, PA, and the Berkshires since I live near Philly. I have not been to Maine yet and really want to get there this year.

7:37 a.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

Flagstaff Lake-Bigelow Mountains was my first thought.

It's also the first place I canoed and backpacked in Maine during my college orientation trip.

9:33 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thanks Alicia. This is awesome, now I have a ton of places to check out. When is black fly season up there (mid-May to mid-June??)

4:28 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

between black flies, horse flies, and mosquitos, be prepared for lots of bugs spring through mid fall.

8:30 a.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

Thanks Alicia. This is awesome, now I have a ton of places to check out. When is black fly season up there (mid-May to mid-June??)

I'd say early May through mid to late June is a good guess for black flies. You never know for sure though and some places will be brutal while others aren't so bad.

Have fun planning your trip.

3:24 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

don't know about Maine, but I can highly highly recommend the BWCA in northeastern Minnesota.

We ate like kings on all types of fish.

8:09 p.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I hear the abundance of water in Minnesota is awesome - unfortunately, a real long drive from where I am. Someday though. My issue is my wife is NOT into backpacking or anything, so can't take too much vacation time that doesn't include her ;-) - so usually 3-day/2-night outings are common with an occassional 4th day thrown in.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

3:09 p.m. on March 11, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

I hear you on that one Keho. My girl will do the occasional car camping with me, but no backcountry stuff.

10:12 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Yeah Josh, same here. And I used to do alot of hiking with my dog too as it looks like you do. However, he is now 11 1/2 and starting to have some trouble climbing with some arthritis in his left hip, so have to limit some stuff with him as well. Sad, I used to bring him everywhere. He's a 95lb yellow lab.

12:25 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I did parts of the AT in Maine, in mid-October 2009.   Katahdin had snow.

I recall some good hiking near Moosehead Lake. 

I would recommend you know where you are, and where you are going, if you are tempted to go off-trail   There are miles and miles and miles of forests.  If anything went amiss, they wouldn't find you for years.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply