Need advice on planning a trip

5:55 p.m. on February 23, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I'm looking into planning a 3-5 day backcountry hiking trip this summer. Does anyone have advice on where to hike in Northern CA? Also I need advice on how to get permits and where I can camp with a wilderness or backcountry pass. I'm really interested in going off-trail and camping where I want if that is allowed. Thanks for the input!

8:21 a.m. on February 24, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

You can find all sorts of good venues, checking out trail books published on the area.  You generalized thus I cannot provide specifics since “Northern California” is a huge region.  Some consider Bridgeport as northern, while other truly mean north like Shasta County.  I like Shasta, the Trinity Alps, Lake County, and camping in the coastal redwood forests.

As for hiking and camping where your whim takes you, it is generally discouraged to make new camp sites.  In any case your trail permit will be accompanied by policies concerning this and other matters of your backcountry behavior.  Some trailheads have informal on the spot registration, some require you contact the park or forest service agency to obtain a permit. The really popular venues will have quotas, making advance application for a permit a good idea.

Ed

10:00 a.m. on February 24, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Lakes Tahoe area is really nice. My favorite. You can rent a log cabin as a base. Plenty of camping grounds if you want to hike in a loop. I did this when I lived in Sacramento for a couple of years. Fishing and hiking, ah the good life. It has been quite a number of years though and I live overseas again, so I do not have specifics on who to contact. Yet, I remember contacting tourist information on the permits. They refered me to parks and recreation. Also you can obtain permits for fishing at just about any sports or outdoor stores!!!

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply