About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hiking the lower Paria

1:09 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

I am down here in Flagstaff trying to find some other locals who are interested in hike the lower Paria Canyon from Lee's Ferry to the AZ/UT border and back. Its a 30 mile hike with about a 900 foot elevation gain.

Lee's Ferry is on the Colorado River between the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell/Glen Canyon Dam in northern Arizona.

Paria-Canyon.jpg
Lee's Ferry is in the lower right corner of this map and the AZ/Ut stateline is in the upper left.

Aerial-of-Paria-Canyon.jpg

This Aerial image show the canyon in the same exact view as the map above.

Paria.jpg

Canyon walls of the Paria rise asmuch as 1000 feet above the floor of the "slot canyon"

3:04 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

The canyon reminds me of some landscapes in the middle east/northeast africa. I never hiked a deep canyon before. Do you take a boat into the canyon (I noticed a river), if not, do you have to find a safe route down. Just curious. I always wanted to travel on a boat through a canyon. One of my list of things to do before I die.

7:35 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

No its just a small river. The entire hike is whats called a slot canyon. The walls average about 3-5 feet apart and rising about 1000 feet above on either side. Theydon't go straight up tho, but in a curvey kind of way. Some are the cause of simple millions of years of natural flash floods following a natural crack in the sandstone or an earthquake fault.

There is a famous canyon somewhere in the world I can't remember where but it where a temple like building called Petra was carved out of the sandstone 1000s of years ago. It was in one of the Indiana Jones movies.

PETRA.jpg

Petra

buckskin-gulch-picture-20717-957240.jpg

The worst hazard of a slot canyon is flash floods which can leave logs trapped after the water drops. Worst season to hike the Paria is in midsummer which is the rainy season and flash flood season. It may be raining hundreds of mile upstream and if you are in the canyon like above when the water comes rushing down theres no where to get out.

hiker-buckskin-gulch-photo-20772-597626.

Canyon walls towering above.

Slot-canyon-of-southern-Utah.jpg

Often water gets trapped in the narrow canyons making wading thru a wet sometimes cold trip.

phbucb.jpg

Beautifully sculpted sandstone after 1000s of flash floods.

9:15 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
333 reviewer rep
127 forum posts

There is a famous canyon somewhere in the world I can't remember where but it where a temple like building called Petra was carved out of the sandstone 1000s of years ago. It was in one of the Indiana Jones movies.

Petra (which means rock) is in Jordon Gary. There are many like it in the area but none quite as grand as Petra. It is a fantastic place to hike, explore, and rock climb. It is a very popular destination. Here is an interesting article about a current hike in Petra that went bad. 

Jordan: Israeli hikers save British man

11:15 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Petra (which means rock) is in Jordon Gary. There are many like it in the area but none quite as grand as Petra. It is a fantastic place to hike, explore, and rock climb. It is a very popular destination. Here is an interesting article about a current hike in Petra that went bad. 

Jordan: Israeli hikers save British man

Steven thanks for the article. I also liked your photo's of Isreal..How many day's or weeks did you backpack there?

12:00 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
333 reviewer rep
127 forum posts

The photo's are from a 2 week trip in 2008. I have been making plans to do the 620 mile Israel National Trail. It usually takes around 1-2 months to complete depending on time of the year. Hopefully finances will come through!  Here is a link to info about the INT.

Israel National Trail Data Project

12:50 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

The photo's are from a 2 week trip in 2008. I have been making plans to do the 620 mile Israel National Trail. It usually takes around 1-2 months to complete depending on time of the year. Hopefully finances will come through!  Here is a link to info about the INT.

Israel National Trail Data Project

Pretty spectacular hike steven. I hope your finances come through. My father told me that Lebenon and Isreal  had a charm and some amazing sights..Thanks for the link...

8:10 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Well there is a whole week open from tomorrow to next weekend and I can'tfind anyone to go do the lower Paria.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply